Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 12, 2007, 4:51 PM   #1

OspreyLand-Just flying around-BIGMA

I think the Osprey like me were enjoying the nice day. About 65 degrees blue skies with a few patchy clouds and almost no wind.

Looks so serious

Just cruising

Coasting along

Enough of this play crap its time to get to work

Day dreaming rather than working

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2007, 4:55 PM   #2

It's embarrasing how many fantastic shots you manage to post Roger.

Makes me feel like a rank amateur!

Congrats.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 5:00 PM   #3

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
It's embarrasing how many fantastic shots you manage to post Roger.

Makes me feel like a rank amateur!

Congrats.

Darren
Nope and No Way on you are a rank amateur. I have ssen you photos. Thank you so much for the nice comment and for taking the time to look.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Apr 12, 2007, 9:19 PM   #4

I think these may be the best osprey shots you have posted yet Roger (which is, of course, saying something). Good job!

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 9:22 PM   #5

I have had a couple of people ask "What is your set up and how do you get this close.

Most of these were done the same way. I am talking about Osprey. Other types of willife I find takes a different approach.

Camera: K10D with a Sigma 50 - 500mm lens. I use what ever is available to help steady the camera such as limb, rock, fence post or etc. I keep my camera on burst mode, and my RDS is always on the camera. My camera is always on P mode.

My set up: I spend a lot of time watching animals and in the case of Osprey I watch to see which way the wind is blowing because they will use the wind to help them. An example is it is easier for them to land going against the wind, they will fish in bays that are protected against the wind and on a day with no wind or very little thay will go to open bays. Keeping in mind the wind and their favorite stopping places I try to ambush them. I pick a spot that they more than likely will be going by or maybe stopping at and hide and wait. If I am trying to get them to look at me I use a crow wildlife call.

How close: Sorry I am not much good at distance but I pretty much never use less than 200mm and most of the time around 300 to 350 mm. If I have picked the wrong place and they are not as close as I expected, I go to 500mm.

Tomorrow my newest piece of equipment will arrive ( BushHawk shoulder mount ) It will make using the camera very similar to using a rifle or shotgun. I expect this will increase my keepers at least 30%. I will let you all know how it works out.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Apr 12, 2007, 9:58 PM   #6

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
I think these may be the best osprey shots you have posted yet Roger (which is, of course, saying something). Good job!

Tim
Thanks you Tim for the kind comment and for looking.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Apr 13, 2007, 6:26 AM   #7

Thanks for the posts Roger. It is very enjoyablelooking atyour pictures. Kind of like being out on a day just like you described.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 9:34 AM   #8

Roger : 30% extra of those shots - I'm getting depressed,

again grgrgr_eat shots - Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 10:01 AM   #9

Lyrics51 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the posts Roger. It is very enjoyablelooking atyour pictures. Kind of like being out on a day just like you described.

Glenn
Thanks Glenn for the kind comment and for taking the time to look. As long as folks enjoy seeing the wildlife in our area I will post photos and enjoy postiing them.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Apr 13, 2007, 3:37 PM   #10

rhermans wrote:
Quote:
Roger : 30% extra of those shots - I'm getting depressed,

again grgrgr_eat shots - Ronny
Hi Ronny, I just got back from a short test hike with my new set up and I think 30% more keepers is possible. A couple of reasons it is now a lot easier to move around with the large lens and it also is much faster to get the camera up and ready to shoot. Also I can now hike or stalk thru the woods with my camera ready to shoot and yet still out of my way and I am using my shoulders to carry it not my hands. I took some pictures and no question about it for me it is much faster getting the camera up and the item in the view finder.

I am going to write up a review of the new set up since I made some changes to it to make it easier to carry the camera at a ready to use position.

Thanks for looking and for the kind comment.

TOTALLY WACKY roger