Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 12, 2007, 6:01 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 693
Default

Hello..

Just thought I would share this little tidbit of info with you. I spoke with my "Guy" at Pentax and we starting doing some small talk. You know that standard stuff. I asked "So, how's business?" I got, we are selling extremely well everywhere in Europe and especially in Germany, France, England and Holland. In fact what is happening is beyond anything they ever expected to sell...

Perhaps one of the reasons for the shortages.

Ben
http://www.pressbook.com/homebook.as...&owner_id=5144
Attached Images
 
benjikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2007, 7:06 PM   #2
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

ben,
from what i know, pentax, has always done better in the Eu market than here in the states. so far all the photo shops that i've visited here don't even carry anything pentax and do not plan on it. what a shame.

roy
  Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 8:03 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Corpsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 879
Default

robar wrote:
Quote:
ben,
from what i know, pentax, has always done better in the Eu market than here in the states. so far all the photo shops that i've visited here don't even carry anything pentax and do not plan on it. what a shame.

roy
When shopping for the Pentax K100D last December I only found that Ritz photo carried the camera locally. However, they priced them at $700 with a kit lens, same as the Canon XT. Even with the $50 mail-in rebate, it's not hard to imagine why someone new to DSLRs would probably choose the Canon.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 12:06 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 1,868
Default

Surprised England counts, as it is so difficult to find a shop that sells Pentax.

I got lucky. Paid over the odds for my DL2 last year from Jessops, and found the last K10D this year from Phot Optix at a very cheap price.

Jessops etc are Nikon, Cannon and Sony. Mention Pentax and all you get is confusion followed by a pitying look, that says "Can't you afford something better?"

And they wonder why people use the internet reather than go to the shops.


Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 1:23 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Hayward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,318
Default

benjikan wrote:
Quote:
I got, we are selling extremely well everywhere in Europe and especially in Germany, France, England and Holland. In fact what is happening is beyond anything they ever expected to sell...

Perhaps one of the reasons for the shortages.
After just the laqngushing niche the *ist's were in the US.... I think they were rather shocked by how well the K100D and then immediately getting the 10D out on time as promised rocketed planning wise as well though still a small segment of the total US market.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 1:37 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Hayward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,318
Default

Corpsy wrote:
Quote:
When shopping for the Pentax K100D last December I only found that Ritz photo carried the camera locally. However, they priced them at $700 with a kit lens, same as the Canon XT.
Which was the last generation Rebel model not current.....

They were smart to announce the K10D soon as the 100Dwas released.... and then actually got it out on time as promised.

I was fed up with Canon... no desire for another half a$$ed Rebel.... and 30D a year plus old as well with no sign (and still) of there ever being a 40D or even enhanced 30D.

Pentax K10D was just to good to pass up.... bye bye never do anything on schedule Canon... and no regrets. And since Canon so big no problem selling off the even low end lens I had for the Rebel 300D besides the two I kept as body is too used to in good conscience sell for more than its worth to me as a second/risk body/backup.

I am still amused by those worried about Pentax staying around... like they are something new... when reality is they predate Nikon is the US market, and at least tied with Canon if not ahead of them too. (All are post WWII 50's-60's reconstruction companies into the US market.)
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 6:54 PM   #7
TDN
Senior Member
 
TDN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,288
Default

Really? that surprises me...good! The local 2nd hand market needs to get some of the newer Pentax stuff...I have been looking for a P-TTL flash for ages.

Whenever I see someone with a DSLR, it's almost always Nikon or Canon.

I know exactly 2 people who have a Pentax DSLR, and over 20 that have one of the 2 major brands.


Or maybe it's just because the stores here are too conservative (and expensive)...I expect Germany to be better there.
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 4:08 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 693
Default

TDN wrote:
Quote:
Really? that surprises me...good! The local 2nd hand market needs to get some of the newer Pentax stuff...I have been looking for a P-TTL flash for ages.

Whenever I see someone with a DSLR, it's almost always Nikon or Canon.

I know exactly 2 people who have a Pentax DSLR, and over 20 that have one of the 2 major brands.


Or maybe it's just because the stores here are too conservative (and expensive)...I expect Germany to be better there.
It all comes down to conditioning. This conditioning comes from a massive marketing budget from N&C. If Pentax can augment their advertising budget as well as get more exposure by the magazines this will help. Pentax has to be more visible at events where exposure to a large audiences give them greater visibility.

Ben
http://www.pressbook.com/homebook.as...&owner_id=5144
benjikan is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:07 PM.