Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 14, 2007, 5:27 PM   #21

I used the DA 50-200.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 9:05 PM   #22

All of these are awesome flowers! I've been going to the botanical gardens quite often recently and have lots of possibilities (love taking flower pictures, even if I'm completely clueless when it comes to what they are) to post here. I just can't make up my mind, so here are a couple of them, chosen for different reasons.

Not the best technically, but I thought this was a strange flower.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 9:06 PM   #23

This is better technically, but not quite as interesting. I have no idea what it is, but I liked the colors.
Attached Images

Old Apr 14, 2007, 9:08 PM   #24

I've always been fascinated by these flowers. This isn't the best of the bunch, but I'm posting it anyway because for some reason I like it. It was by desktop wall paper for a while.
Attached Images

Old Apr 14, 2007, 9:13 PM   #25

You probably won't find this one in a botanical garden. I've never noticed the little "hooks" on dandilions before I took this picture. This was from my driveway - the only wildflower that is showing its face much this year.
Attached Images

Old Apr 14, 2007, 9:26 PM   #26

Hey guys, I have a "newbie" question.Howdo you get entire flower head in focus? I have to choose between having only some portions in focus at a given time. I'm using the18-55mm lens btw. Is its simply technique or perhaps this lens isn't ideal for this type of photography? Thanks!
Contriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 9:37 PM   #27

Hope you don't mind my posting this one. Taken with a KM A200, I didn't have my Pentax K100D at the time. The photo of therose is not so significant aswas the location - Garden Tomb, Jerusalem, Israel.
Attached Images

a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2007, 12:29 AM   #28

The kit lens isn't ideal for flowers, but does all right with bigger ones. For something small you really need a macro lens.

If you have the part closest to you in focus but parts further away out of focus, you are probably using too large an aperture (like f4). Using a smaller aperture opening will give you a bigger depth of field. The first two pictures I posted were taken at f16, while the dandilion was taken at f8 and the depth of field is less (bottom petals not quite in focus). Another possible problem you might run into with the kit lens is the minimum focus range. I don't remember what it is, but I do remember deciding that I needed something that would allow the camera to focus closer pretty early after getting the DS.

Another thing that can affect your flower pictures is the auto focus mechanism. I always use manual focus with macro pictures, and occasionally with non-macroflowers since the camera can focus on something you didn't intend on occasion. I've run across all of these factors at various times taking pictures of flowers.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 9:39 PM   #29

Contriver, Glenn, and Harriet, these are all great shots. Contriver, I really like your shot with both the yellow and purple flowers and Glenn's daffodils are neat because we don't have them here. Harriet I like yourorange flowerthe best, how big is the flower?I can identify your third shot (the pink one that was your wallpaper) as a bottlebrush bush, it is easy to see how it got the name. They are in bloom here in FL too.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 9:32 AM   #30

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
Contriver, Glenn, and Harriet, these are all great shots. Contriver, I really like your shot with both the yellow and purple flowers and Glenn's daffodils are neat because we don't have them here. Harriet I like yourorange flowerthe best, how big is the flower?I can identify your third shot (the pink one that was your wallpaper) as a bottlebrush bush, it is easy to see how it got the name. They are in bloom here in FL too.

Tim
Thanks Tim! Its my first try at close up photography with dSLR. I just happened to take those pictures playing around and was going to create a new thread to ask you guys for feedback when I saw that this flower thread had been created already:-)

I like that flower picture of yours as well, I particularly like the warm yellowish-orange and red colors of it, reminds me of the colors of a peach :-)
Contriver is offline   Reply With Quote