Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 18, 2007, 9:37 AM   #31

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
The kit lens isn't ideal for flowers, but does all right with bigger ones. For something small you really need a macro lens.

If you have the part closest to you in focus but parts further away out of focus, you are probably using too large an aperture (like f4). Using a smaller aperture opening will give you a bigger depth of field. The first two pictures I posted were taken at f16, while the dandilion was taken at f8 and the depth of field is less (bottom petals not quite in focus). Another possible problem you might run into with the kit lens is the minimum focus range. I don't remember what it is, but I do remember deciding that I needed something that would allow the camera to focus closer pretty early after getting the DS.

Another thing that can affect your flower pictures is the auto focus mechanism. I always use manual focus with macro pictures, and occasionally with non-macroflowers since the camera can focus on something you didn't intend on occasion. I've run across all of these factors at various times taking pictures of flowers.
Hey Mtngal, thanks for the feedback! DOF, yeah I didn't think that was an issue when you're this close up, I'll have to keep that in mind next time. As far as AF, I hardly use it, its great for fast moving subjects, but not so great for anything else. What exactly makes a macro lens a macro lens? Is it only the fact that it can focus closer? Or does it also allow more to be in focus at the same time as well allowing for focusing in closer?
Contriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 11:08 AM   #32

Quote:
Hey Mtngal, thanks for the feedback! DOF, yeah I didn't think that was an issue when you're this close up, I'll have to keep that in mind next time. As far as AF, I hardly use it, its great for fast moving subjects, but not so great for anything else. What exactly makes a macro lens a macro lens? Is it only the fact that it can focus closer? Or does it also allow more to be in focus at the same time as well allowing for focusing in closer?
My understanding, and someone will correct me if I err, is that a true macro lens is designed to give a flat, rather than curved, focused area very close up and a true macro lens is supposed to give a 1:1 relationship between the subject and the image recorded on the film/sensor. A lot of dedicated macro lenses only go to 1:2 though, and a lot of zoom lenses that do not even go that close are labeled as "macro." Another feature of a true macro lens is very fine adjustment of the manual focus; my Dine 105mm takes about seven full turns of the focusing control to go from infinity to 1:1 vs maybe a single full turn between infinity and minimum focusing distance on a "regular" lens. The minumum focusing distance of a macro lens is very small, about 4" on mine and less on many 50mm examples.

As far as depth of field, you are not going to get "more" depth of field at the same aperture just because it is a macro. I would wager that good macro lens would be designed for maximum sharpness at smaller apertures, though, so that you could take advantage of the increased DOF gained by using smaller apertures.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2007, 12:24 AM   #33

Macro lenses do allow you to focus closer than other lenses, but won't give you bigger DOF. I have the Phoenix 100mm macro that has a matched adaptor to allow it to go to 1:1, and the DOF is very thin, even at smaller apertures.

I just thought I'd add this flower picture. It's a flower in my neighbor's yard and was taken this past Sunday. Remember, I live in Southern California!
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2007, 9:24 AM   #34

Excellent flowers people - and such a variety! Two Crocuses popped out just this past weekend in the front garden so my wife took the opportunity to try out some "macro" shots on our K100d. She used a 1:2 50mm from her Pentax ME super and a reversing ring.
Attached Images

thePrisoner6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2007, 10:42 AM   #35

Ohh, very nice! I love the colors on your crocuses.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2007, 4:02 PM   #36

Here's my best shot. Taken a couple weeks back.

Fred

*ist DL - Kiron 105mm macro

Fred2726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2007, 5:38 PM   #37

Fred2726 wrote:
Quote:
Here's my best shot. Taken a couple weeks back.
And your best is really good!

A lot of nice pictures, flowers are ever amazing. One never gets tired of them.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2007, 9:40 PM   #38

Love the snow-flower shot Mntgal :-)
Contriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2007, 9:35 AM   #39

Spring and flowers!
Attached Images

andrei46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2007, 9:36 AM   #40

Spring and many flowers! Many daffodils in our backyard!
Attached Images

andrei46 is offline   Reply With Quote