Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 13, 2007, 5:18 PM   #1

Wildlife Photo equipment set up ( BIGMA )

K10D / RDS / BushHawk / Sigma 50-500 Lens

This morning was my 1st test with this new set up. Why am I such a happy camper???

I am the most un-mechanical person I have ever met and it took me about 10 minutes to get my camera on the BushHawk and plugged in and ready to go. It is so simple they don't include directions and there is no reason to include directions. I will guess the average person can get it done in 5 minutes if it took me 10minutes.

My plan for this new set up was to come up with a faster way to have the camera ready to press the shutter & make the camera and a big lens easy to carry and save wear and tear on my hands and my neck from the camera strap. After a few hours the BIGMA and a camera can begin to feel pretty heavy (probably because it is). I took it a friend of mine who is a gun smith and he attached 2 swivel post to the BushHawk and we put on a wide rifle sling. I adjusted it so I can have it in hiking or walking position and change to "the ready position" in probably 1 to 2 seconds. All the weight is on my shoulders and my arms and hands are free and yet I can be taking pictures in a couple of seconds. How sweet it is, YES I am a real happy camper. Lots of times when I am out in the woods I use my shooting sticks as a hiking staff and this set up works perfect with them for a tripod if additional stabilization is needed.

The learning curve: Basically none for me as I am used to a rifle and or shotgun and every thing about this is the same. If you have ever done any clay shooting or wing shooting you will find there is no learning curve. Panning IMHO is now about 30 to 50 percent easier for me. I also noticed how much easier it is to hold the camera steady because I am pushing the stock into my shoulder and it is more difficult for the camera to jump around.

He is the set up

Here is the set up in hiking or walking around position. Its is magic I can move around and my arms and hands are not needed to hold the camera

Here it is in the ready to get a photo position. Raise to your shoulder put your hand on the trigger button and you are ready. With my first tests I am thinking I may no longer need to use my RDS to find the animal. I am going to try it both ways some more before I make a decision.

All you do now is put your finger on the trigger button and you are taking photos in burst mode.

Bottom Line: After the first test I am a double happy camper.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2007, 6:46 PM   #2
TDN

That looks awesome!

I wish we had more wildlife around here. Shooting something like that must be great.
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 7:05 PM   #3

Ditto
If I am to acquire that I will have to get comparable value of gift to the Commander in Chief.

Daniel, Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 7:15 PM   #4

What was the cost of that item and where can you buy one??? Might be a good project for me to make....Saw something similar on Ebay with a camera...from Russia I think! Brings new meaning to the phrase shoot a photo!!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 7:34 PM   #5

Costs about $100USD if memory serves, can find it ! BushHawk.com

cheers, Wayne
waynespixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 7:46 PM   #6

TDN wrote:
Quote:
That looks awesome!

I wish we had more wildlife around here. Shooting something like that must be great.
TDB thanks for the comment and for taking the time to look. So far I would say it IMHO is a must for wildlfie photos. Especially if you are going to get out of the car and get back into the woods.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Apr 13, 2007, 7:48 PM   #7

what's the sight on the flash boot for?
fisheye4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 7:48 PM   #8

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
What was the cost of that item and where can you buy one??? Might be a good project for me to make....Saw something similar on Ebay with a camera...from Russia I think! Brings new meaning to the phrase shoot a photo!!

Dawg
They start at around $89.95 and go up according to the extras you want. Here is the link.

http://bushhawk.shopol.com/Group/5YDIQ7IWWOKX6ZMJ.htm

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Apr 13, 2007, 7:49 PM   #9

waynespixels wrote:
Quote:
Costs about $100USD if memory serves, can find it ! BushHawk.com

cheers, Wayne
Hi Wayne, thanks for posting the information.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Apr 13, 2007, 7:51 PM   #10

fisheye4 wrote:
Quote:
what's the sight on the flash boot for?
It is a Red dot sight which at least for me makes it easier to find the animal or bird. Thank you fisheye4 for looking and for commenting. It is called a Quick Aim which is pretty much what it does.

Here is a link for more information

http://www.kwikaim.com/Home_Page.php

TOTALLY WACKY roger