Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 14, 2007, 2:58 PM   #1

I posted part of this problem in another forum and after some very helpful answers I thought I had made a decision but WhackyRoger's pictures have made me start rethinking the issue.

This is the situation;

I am new to dslrs and happily "learning" with my new K100d. Then brother offered me his Nikon d80 body for my upcoming 50th birthday. When I expressed concern over switching from Pentax to Nikon he then offered to sell the d80 and get me the k10d for my birthday. I think part of this is because he is desperate to figure out what to get me and doesn't want to have to think about it any more. LOL

This is the problem:

I think the d80 would be more user friendly but Nikon lenses can be REALLY expensive. It does not have in body SR nor does it have some of the other features that the Pentax offers. I don't have a large collection of Pentax stuff yet but I do have the two kit lenses, the 50 1/4 prime, and the 540 flash and one of my goals was to get the wonderful 77mm. However, I have already encountered the problem of the small buffer on the k100d and the new DA* lenses won't function fully on the k100 so even though I was not thinking of upgrading right now I can see that it is something I would probably want to do before too long.

All the reviews of the k10d describe it as a camera for an "advanced amateur" , "not for a novice", "a thinkers camera" and, as such, may be too much of an upgrade for me. The d80 was described as being able to be used by anyone in addition to being a really nice camera.

I enjoy the "thinking" part of photography when I have the time to "think" like posed pics of my kids, landscape shots and just experimental time. But, when I quickly need to get a shot my "thinking" takes a much longer period of time due to my skill level and the shot is missed so I tend to rely on the "Scene" modes in such instances. For that reason, I had decided to go with the d80.

Then Whacky Roger posted those Turkey Vulture pics and someone commented that he had done them in "P" mode. Wow! P mode I can handle! So that got me back to thinking about the k10d.....

So my questions are:

Just how difficult would the k10d be for a novice to use?

Just how bad are the k10's JPEG'S?
I do shoot in RAW for pics I know I want to take the time on but most of the time I am just shooting snap shots in JPEG that I can run through Element's Quick Fix and email to Grandma and don't want to have to shoot RAW and go through the conversion stuff for everything.

I would really prefer to stay with Pentax but the descriptions of the K10 have me worried about my ability to use it successfully.

Sorry this got so long. Any thought about this will be much appreciated.

Thanks, Robin

rzarbo@sbcglobal.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2007, 3:29 PM   #2

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IRNEWS/
Vol 9, #8 posted 4/13
K10d- Diferent by Design feature
Wow, great question. Newsletter email I received this morning addressed some of your concerns.. Will watch this thread for sure
tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 4:18 PM   #3

Yes, the IR review was the one in particular that makes me think the k10d may be WAY over my head. My birthday is only 5 month away and I have the feeling the term "novice" will apply to me long after that.

Old Apr 14, 2007, 5:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Just how difficult would the k10d be for a novice to use?
first of your not a complete novice you have the k100d, and I started as a novice with the k10d and haven't regretted it.

Quote:
Just how bad are the k10's JPEG'S? I do shoot in RAW for pics I know I want to take the time on but most of the time I am just shooting snap shots in JPEG that I can run through Element's Quick Fix and email to Grandma and don't want to have to shoot RAW and go through the conversion stuff for everything.
not bad at all, they are a bit softer than the competition, "something I like" but if you change the standard settings a bit extra contrast and saturation they look almost the same as the competition. Only I see more detail in them, but this is but my opinion.

Quote:
I would really prefer to stay with Pentax but the descriptions of the K10 have me worried about my ability to use it successfully.
simple answer don't worry

[line]one thing else - how good the nikon is it misses 1 BIG THING - shake reduction, if you worry about taking good shots this is one of the main disadvantages of this brand (sorry Nikon )

Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 6:29 PM   #5

You really have answered your question in your post.

You have a great selection of Pentax kit already, which will go straight onto the K10D.

I moved up from the DL2 to the K10D about 3 weeks ago. Full of confidence - I can handle it - it shot me down in flames. This is a proper camera. It meters accurately, without the under-exposure of previous Pentaxes.

That said, I have bowed my head and followed Roger's advice. Put the camera in P mode. Shoot JPG with the sharpness up one click. Then use the LCD screen set to flash highlights and change the metering from matrix to centre-weighted to spot as necessary. Simple.

I have 2 4Gb SDHC cards and last weekend I used one card in JPG mode and shot 850 Pics. Kept around 600. Most shot in burst mode of eith soldiers battling of birds in flight.

I have now gone on to set the camera up to take RAW and JPG together. Even better.

The buffer is impossible to fill in JPG mode with a reasonable card. In other modes you still get about a dozen shots before slowdown.

However... The Nikon D80, like all DSLRs these days, is a great camera. Easy to use with sharp saturated colours (you can set it up the same in the Pentax menu). The best thing to do is to go to a camera shop and try both models. Despite have to change all of your kit, you may find that the Nikon fits you and your hands better.

Don't worry about the Picture modes. The K10D does all of them in P mode.

Best advice is to ignore the brand and try the camera. The brand means nothing if you have no lenses, ot cannot hold the camera comfortably.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 6:35 PM   #6

The K10 has all kinds of adjustments and that can be very bewildering. However, you don't have to use them all!

I tend to use P mode much of the time and the main things I'll change are focus/exposure settings (and occasionally the white balance). My biggest problem comes when I change something and forget to change it back when I'm done (get some really strange results that way). But that happened with the K100, too.

The reason why I don't recommend it for a novice is that it is easy to change something that will cause your pictures to be out of whack, and you might not know how to fix it (answer - reset to default settings). And all those additional features can be overwhelming for someone who doesn't understand the basics of photography - so many more things to think about.

You, on the other hand, understand the basics, have used a dSLR before and will find the K10 not all that much different than the K100 (it goes about things slightly differently but not all that much). You wouldn't have any problem with it and would probably really appreciate changing from matrix to spot metering with a flick of a finger, rather than in a menu.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 7:24 PM   #7

Thank you everyone for your encouraging replies. I have been to a shop and handled both, actually several times. I love the size/weight of the k100d and the d80 but I do not find the k10 tooooooo large especially since I would not be toting it around for long periods of time. That said, however, I would certainly not want to add the battery grip!

One of the things I REALLY liked about the d80 were the grid lines in the focusing screen. I have been trying to work on the Rule of Thirds and composition and I found that feature very helpful. Swayed to the d80...... Then I found out I could get that for the k10d. Swayed back to the k10.........LOL

I did learn in my research that the d80 can have issues with metering in the matrix mode. I would be much more at a loss on how to deal with that than I am with the WB issues of the Pentax.

The added buttons and dials of the k10 don't worry me as much. I was very comfortable, within a couple of days, with the buttons, dials and menus of the k100. It is how to use them correctly to get the right shot that causes my blackouts of intelligence. I "learned" the camera far more quickly than I am learning the basics of photography. I do have several good books which I go to bed reading almost every night but, as I said, when push comes to shove, I suffer brain freeze. I am kind of a right-brained but Type A personality so it is a struggle!

If, as you all have indicated, I can achieve "reasonably good" shots using P mode while I stumble along, I will be quite happy with that.

Thank you for your thoughts.
Old Apr 15, 2007, 1:57 AM   #8

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
All the reviews of the k10d describe it as a camera for an "advanced amateur" , "not for a novice", "a thinkers camera" and, as such, may be too much of an upgrade for me. The d80 was described as being able to be used by anyone in addition to being a really nice camera.o take the time on but most of the time I am just shooting snap shots in JPEG that I can run through Element's Quick Fix and email to Grandma and don't want to have to shoot RAW and go through the conversion stuff for everything.

Sorry this got so long. Any thought about this will be much appreciated.

Thanks, Robin
There is a missing word or two there..... CAN and WILL be a thinking persons camera.... but yes it does have AUTO and GREEN button modes for non thinking

It is a camera that can be quite good in full auto, yet very friendly to what the hey experimentation, when you have the time or not realy caring about capturing a fleeting moment.

If you can afford it I would and always will say go 10D vs just bridging 100D

Had mine many months, and a Canon Rebel before it (and fed up with C) and I still find just playing with it in non critical situation a JOY.... and then know how to flex it when that situation comes up.

If there are two things I would EVER suggest to ANYONE buying a digital camera be it P&S or DSLR.... READ THE MANUAL.... then JUST GO AND PLAY!!!!

There is always the "no cost" (but battery charging) delete button

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 3:41 PM   #9

Thank you, Hayward for your advice and encouragement. We have just gotten our power back on after the Nor'easter here in CT so I have been "absent" since you posted.

With all the encouragement I have received from the people here I have decided to go for the K10d and I am quite excited about it. Can't wait for August! And, now, my Pentax lens buying plan (addiction) can go on unabated!
Old Apr 18, 2007, 11:30 PM   #10

LOL! You'll be able to use those lenses on the K100 while you are waiting. You'll even be able to say "I really NEED that more expensive, better lens because it will be better for the K10." Of course, that's a bunch of balony, but it sounds like good justification to buy some nice lenses to use right now, doesn't it?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote