Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 21, 2007, 6:34 PM   #11

I went back this weekend and I have found a lot of empty nests. These are the remaining ones I took (again with a lot of distracting branches while shooting directly overhead with backlight). This time I brought in my Tamron 1.5TC boosting my reach (still short at 300mm) . After zooming in, the boosting in range has more than offseting the degradation of optical quality (introduced by the TC).

Majority of them were taken wide open and handheld.

Daniel , Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2007, 8:09 PM   #12

Glenn - lovely picture, so clear!

Daniel, that last one, with the evening light, is special. I love it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2007, 8:22 PM   #13

some really remarkable shots here. congrats to all.

Hey Steve!! What happened to my 5400 posts ????
roy

robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 12:39 AM   #14

robar wrote:
Quote:
Totally agreed
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 3:51 AM   #15

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
I went back this weekend and I have found a lot of empty nests. These are the remaining ones I took (again with a lot of distracting branches while shooting directly overhead with backlight). This time I brought in my Tamron 1.5TC boosting my reach (still short at 300mm) . After zooming in, the boosting in range has more than offseting the degradation of optical quality (introduced by the TC).
Hi Daniel,

The first shot is very nice, but the second one is really great! Looks like adding the TC was a good idea.

I discovered another rookery right down the street from the manmade one. It's located on the huge AT&T campus, on an island in the middle of a small lake. I just took a couple of quick shots from the car from about 150 yards, but if I could park or be dropped off, I could probably get within about 50 yards without any trouble (or ticks, swamp, heart attacks, etc :-)).

Here's a shot, cropped @ 50% with the 714 combo. It shows 4 of the nine nests located there. Sometimes the nests look empty, but it's just that the mom is hunkered down in the nest and you really can't see her from a lower angle -- as in the case of the nest to the far right.

The GBHs stay in the nest for quite a while -- the babies get at least 3/4 adult size before they leave permanently if my limited experience serves. I hope that you can continue to get such excellent shots throughout the summer and chronicle their progress.

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 4:29 AM   #16

Before I got my dog.... so 5+ years ago.... I had a juvenile GBH that camped out on my fence and pecked the yard EVERY night for about 3 months... then just disappeared one day... (they winter winter here... as do many of you.... and likely breed down here.) Do you ever see juveniles up there?
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 5:52 AM   #17

robar wrote:
Quote:

Hey Steve!! What happened to my 5400 posts ????
roy
Roy,

I did not know that
You get cut off by around 5,000 posts?
So you are just a newbie with 20 posts?

Daniel
Old Apr 22, 2007, 6:08 AM   #18

Quote:

Hi Daniel,

I discovered another rookery right down the street from the manmade one. It's located on the huge AT&T campus, on an island in the middle of a small lake. I just took a couple of quick shots from the car from about 150 yards, but if I could park or be dropped off, I could probably get within about 50 yards without any trouble (or ticks,* swamp,* heart attacks, etc :-)).

Scott,

This is probably the best time to see them. Why? Those distracting branches now will have leaves in a couple of weeks rendering the rookeries almost invisible from below. And mosquitos in a few weeks will be deadly. They come in thousand for each intruder to a swamp area.

Quote:
The GBHs stay in the nest for quite a while -- the babies get at least 3/4 adult size before they leave permanently if my limited experience serves. I hope that you can continue to get such excellent shots throughout the summer and chronicle their progress.

Scott
Photography-wise this is probably about it. As I said, it is more like bird watching than bird shooting given the insurmountable hurdle. It is fun. Throughout the summer? Got to be kidding.

Quote:

Hayward

Do you ever see juveniles up there?

Yes. They are there. Way way up there in their nests though. See Pict #2 . Not a great pict with distracting branches. But in a couple of weeks/days it will be completely invisibile behind dense leaves.
Thanks for looking.

Daniel, Toronto
Old Apr 22, 2007, 4:42 PM   #19

Daniel, That last one is really nice. Reminds me ofStar Trek'sKlingon "Bird of Prey!"

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote