Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 14, 2007, 3:50 PM   #1

I have been eyeing that area in Toronto(N E corner of Steele/YorkDurham Line ) for sometimes after the Bird Watch reported that there are massive number (over 60) of GBH nesting there.

I managed to go there this afternoon . Lighting condition was dim with backlight. And they were all high up over 60 ft away. And worse of all it is located in a dense swamp area. I can only console myself that in summer time this would have been completely inaccessible (at least for me) .

They were all there with around 60 nests and all around me. I could not manage any vantage point at all. Majority of the time I could only watch . Only a few keepers (?) survived taken with my very short 300mm. I had a good time watching them instead of taking pict behind dense branches. They are just majestic to watch.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2007, 5:24 PM   #2

Too bad about the light, but I really like the last one - it's an unusual pose.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 10:13 PM   #3

Hi Daniel,

We have a couple of GBH rookeries in my area, and the closest that I can get to one is about 300 yards after busting my way through about a half-mile of forest without any trails. . . and I came out to find a couple of ticks that apparently had a taste for me. The other one is man-made, and I'd say that 500 yards is the closest that I can get to that one -- they obviously planned it that way, to give those big guys plenty of relative privacy. Here's a pic I took recently. In the center of the frame, you can see what I believe is a pair doing the nature thing.

Your shots are much better than anything that I've gotten, and I've tried just about every trick I know to get closer. Nice work, of a very interesting subject, IMO.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2007, 12:46 PM   #4

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi Daniel,

We have a couple of GBH rookeries in my area, and the closest that I can get to one is about 300 yards after busting my way through about a half-mile of forest without any trails. . . and I came out to find a couple of ticks that apparently had a taste for me. The other one is man-made, and I'd say that 500 yards is the closest that I can get to that one -- they obviously planned it that way, to give those big guys plenty of relative privacy. Here's a pic I took recently. In the center of the frame, you can see what I believe is a pair doing the nature thing.

Scott
Scott

Your pict is impressive even though that appears to be a foggy day. As I said, just the sight and sound of a congregation of the graceous birds is worth the trip to a swamp area.
BTW how on earth you could have a shot more the less at the same level as the rookeries? They are on man made structures ? Interesting and very rewarding setup for bird watchers or shooters

Daniel
Old Apr 17, 2007, 12:21 PM   #5

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
Scott

Your pict is impressive even though that appears to be a foggy day. As I said, just the sight and sound of a congregation of the graceous birds is worth the trip to a swamp area.
BTW how on earth you could have a shot more the less at the same level as the rookeries? They are on man made structures ? Interesting and very rewarding setup for bird watchers or shooters
Hi Daniel,

This was shot from at least a half a mile away -- with the 714mm Tamron with stacked converters combo. At that distance the camera is pretty much parallel to the ground, so the perspective is deceiving. It was a very dreary day, and I actually had to hustle back to the car to keep the DS dry.

They are man-made -- I'm guessing, but the vertical poles are probably at least 3 or 4 feet in diameter. There are IIRC 5 platforms per pole, each with a perching pole for the dads to watch over the nest. The GBHs readily adapted to them when their nests in the natural rookery nearby in the same park were destroyed by a freaky wind storm the previous winter, and they only nest on the artificial structures now.

I can actually shoot from near nest height at the other local rookery. There's a tollway that's built up over 50 feet above the surrounding area where you can get a view from about 1/3 of a mile away. I don't shoot from there often, the wind from the passing cars and trucks and the danger of stopping on the shoulder of a major urban highway doesn't make for a good shoot, but I've done it before, and I'll probably do it again.

Here's one at 510mm from that vantage point.

There are about 20 nests, and as far as I can tell, they're all usually occupied every year. I'm amazed that they can build these treetop structures that last years and can hold the weight of the mom, plus 3 or 4 young until they are almost mature.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2007, 12:23 PM   #6

What a fantastic thing to see. I would like to see it in person. Nice capture.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2007, 1:19 PM   #7

Nice place to get some great shots! Yes the ticks are out if force here too.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2007, 3:45 PM   #8

Daniel and all, here is a shot of a heron but not in nearly as an exotic setting as your pix. This was in a pond in front of a hospital in Germany. At first I thought it was a statue, but then he moved!

Glenn
Attached Images

Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2007, 6:23 PM   #9

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
Scott

Hi Daniel,

This was shot from at least a half a mile away -- with the 714mm Tamron with stacked converters combo. At that distance the camera is pretty much parallel to the ground, so the perspective is deceiving. It was a very dreary day, and I actually had to hustle back to the car to keep the DS dry.

They are man-made -- I'm guessing, but the vertical poles are probably at least 3 or 4 feet in diameter. There are IIRC 5 platforms per pole, each with a perching pole for the dads to watch over the nest. The GBHs readily adapted to them when their nests in the natural rookery nearby in the same park were destroyed by a freaky wind storm the previous winter, and they only nest on the artificial structures now.

I can actually shoot from near nest height at the other local rookery. There's a tollway that's built up over 50 feet above the surrounding area where you can get a view from about 1/3 of a mile away. I don't shoot from there often, the wind from the passing cars and trucks and the danger of stopping on the shoulder of a major urban highway doesn't make for a good shoot, but I've done it before, and I'll probably do it again.

Scott
Scott
Wow from 1/3 miles away! Which is more hazardous? Stopping on the shoulder of a highway and subject to intervention from State troopers ? Or 1/2 miles of swamp/trackless forest? My 300mm is woefully inadequate. It looks like that you can zoom in twice what I could do with a 700mm combo. I may have to accept the fact that this is more like a birdwatching exercise than birdshooting. The alternative is another major investment in gear.

Daniel , Toronto
Old Apr 18, 2007, 10:08 AM   #10

Lyrics51 wrote:
Quote:
Daniel and all, here is a shot of a heron but not in nearly as an exotic setting as your pix.* This was in a pond in front of a hospital in Germany.* At first I thought it was a statue, but then he moved!

Glenn
Glenn
Nice shot. When they hunt they hardly move until their target passes through.

I had some shots last yr. Hope I can get better ones later on in the yr.

Daniel