Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 21, 2007, 12:34 PM   #21

Has your camera arrived yet? I'm going to be very curious to find out how you'll like it.

Your point about pp is a good one - some people love doing it, some hate it. I fall into the first category and I'd play around with my photos in photoshop 3when I was using a SonyF717 (only jpg). You can assume that everything I post was taken in raw (I now rarely use jpg) and converted to tiffusing Lightroom (love that program - easy to make exposure and white balance adjustments if needed, along with the excellent cropping and rotating tool), then resizing and sharpening added in CS2 - how much depends on which camera and lens I was using. K10 is softer than K100,more sowhen I've resized rather than cropped, and pictures taken with the A*300 or Phoenix 100mm macrolenses will need less than those taken with the DA 50-200 or kit lens. Since I find that the amount of sharpening requiredvaries, I'm rather glad I can do it myself, but realize that not everyone will feel the same way.

I keep thinking about the grip, but not sure I could deal with the extra weight/size. Having the shutter on the side for vertical shots would be really nice. Someday I'll have to find one and try it out.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2007, 5:51 PM   #22

Robert Barnett - what ever your opinions are about the K10D - your images are great! The photographer really knows how to use the instrument to capture the picture. I went through your entire set and they are stunning to say the least! San Francisco offers a lot of opportunities for great images.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 1:17 AM   #23

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Has your camera arrived yet? I'm going to be very curious to find out how you'll like it.

I keep thinking about the grip, but not sure I could deal with the extra weight/size. Having the shutter on the side for vertical shots would be really nice. Someday I'll have to find one and try it out.

Assuming you're talking to me, the camera hasn't arrived yet. It's being shipped from B&H in the States to my residence here in Germany. And that takes time; about five days based on previous shipments. Five days ended last Wednesday, but the additional delay may be due to either the bad weather in the NE USA last week (preventing some flights) or the heightened security alert here in Germany (more aggressive package checks).

A grip does add weight and size, both of which were concerns when I got the first one. But I justified that purchase by saying it would help in the studio (good percentage of vertical shots), and I simply could remove it outside the studio. Predictably, once I got used to it, the silly thing never left the camera. Now I feel a camera is missing something if a grip isn't attached. Of course, life will go on without a grip.

One thing which slightly concerns me about the Pentax grip is that tripod socket is (based on what I've read) not inline with the lens. If it is too far off, the camera may not balance well on a tripod (which could result in the camera slipping around on the mount - there is a limit on how much one can tighten it down). A previous grip like that drove me crazy until I finally replaced it. Hopefully this one is not that bad, plus there is sufficient texture on the bottom to prevent any slippage.

stewart

stewart_photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 1:40 AM   #24

interested_observer wrote:
Quote:
Robert Barnett - what ever your opinions are about the K10D - your images are great! The photographer really knows how to use the instrument to capture the picture. I went through your entire set and they are stunning to say the least! San Francisco offers a lot of opportunities for great images.

I meant to comment on his pictures too. There are some really good shots there. None were bad, but some stand out for me. I like the moon shot with the dark sky, which could be used cropped for a logo or something similar. The candle light shot of the yellow flower is interesting. Never tried using a candle that way, but will now. The Marin Headlands Low Light shots were really good (nice colors). I like the moon shot with the Sigma (always like moon shots). And my wife especially liked the kitty (cute!).

stewart
Old Apr 23, 2007, 11:02 PM   #25

Wow.. I would love to ask
Would you have opted for the FZ50 now?
I am at a crossroads, sounds like so many of us are looking for a camera
that is like the Lumix with some extra functions. Remarkable cameras like the FZ series are just hard to move away from after a while
Maybe post direct to me... I don't want to flame out on this issue
tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 10:10 PM   #26

Well, my new K10D finally arrived late this afternoon. But by the time the batteries were charged and everything assembled, it was too late in the evening (nightime actually) to really test it out. But I was impressed with it's ability to quickly focus on things around the house (better than my Maxxum 7).

To be honest, after handling other cameras at the store (Canon XTi, Sony Alpha, Nikon D40x, etc), I was expecting something much more flimsy. However, this camera feels solid.

Of course, the real test is in the images. And I'll be off this forum for some time while I test that very thing. If I get anything special, I'll post them when I return. See everyone in a few days.

By the way, since I mentioned it earlier, the tripod socket on the Pentax grip isn't off-centered enough to make much of a difference (less then a half inch from inline with the lens).

stewart