Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 18, 2007, 1:10 PM   #1

BushHawk/Bigma/K10D- in the field Review

Why did I use the Pentax K10D and the Sigma 50 - 500??? Cuz that is what I own. I am sure any camera with a heavy lens would work the same as what I used.

These shots are all hand held I did not rest the set up on anything. For this test I found out moving around in the woods is much easier with the BushHawk than with out it. My hands were available and the shoulder strap made the whole thing comfortable. I did figure out for me the second handle in the front is well worth the money cuz you can use one hand to keep it firmly against your shoulder while your other hand adjusts the zoom. I also suggest you attach the rifle strap to the top of the BushHawk so the camera stays upright rather than up side down. I found it to be faster this way and you feel a lot more comfortable that is is secure with it up right rather than hanging down.

How the BushHawk looks being used. Here is a link to some photos of the BushHawk

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=122342&forum_id=11

White tail deer, I was sitting down.

Ducks, this time on one knee

Osprey, this time I was standing up

I don't know what kind of bird these character's are but I noticed some thing move to the left of me so I turned and was right on them I was only able to get 4 shots in burst mode so they were only there for a very short time. The 1st photo was what I think are the mom and the dad then the other 3 in the burst had what I think is there young one who had joined them. In this case With out the BushHawk I do not think I would of gotten a photo much less a keeper. It is much faster getting on the subject.

Bottom Line: If you are going to be outdoors with a heavy camera & lens and you want a larger percentage of keepers then you should consider the BushHawk. After my in the field tests I think I am safe in saying my camera will be attached to the BushHawk probably 98% of the time.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2007, 3:11 PM   #2

Roger is running around in the forest with what appears to be a bazooka from the future, aiming it at all manner of tiny birds and animals. Call the park rangers.

A taxidermist with Photoshop and too much time on his hands couldn't do much better than these. When are you going to try a TC with that?

Very nice, dammit.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 4:43 PM   #3

INCREDIBLE - GREAT - FANTASTIC
are just not enough to describe your work

Roger thanks for sharing them Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 5:58 PM   #4

Corpsy wrote:
Quote:
Roger is running around in the forest with what appears to be a bazooka from the future, aiming it at all manner of tiny birds and animals. Call the park rangers.

A taxidermist with Photoshop and too much time on his hands couldn't do much better than these. When are you going to try a TC with that?

Very nice, dammit.
Corpsy you are right about what I am doing and I am sure it would make a funny photo. I keep looking at my TC and saying to myself I have to try that thing. I will put it in the camera wagon and try it in the next couple of times I get out. Thanks for the make roger smile post and for looking.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Apr 18, 2007, 5:59 PM   #5

rhermans wrote:
Quote:
INCREDIBLE - GREAT - FANTASTIC
are just not enough to describe your work

Roger thanks for sharing them Ronny
Ronny, thank you very much for such a nice comment and for taking the time to look.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Old Apr 18, 2007, 9:44 PM   #6

Thanks for the updated review Roger. I can really see the benefits of that device and it looks like the cost is prety reasonable. I don't think it will get me shots as good as yours, but maybe it is time to move from Lens Buying Addiction to Accessory Buying Addiction.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 11:39 PM   #7

Impressive! It does seem to work well for you, and I love the first one. Think your birds might be House Finches, they look like the picture in my field guide and they would be common in your area. There's another finch that is similar that might be in New Mexico (Cassin's Finch), but I think yours look more like the House Finchpicture (they don't have a full picture of the Cassin's).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2007, 12:15 AM   #8

Great shots as usual Roger.

The Opreys are magnificent. So sharp against the sky.

I want that lens. I need that lens.

Maybe next year.

Keep shooting Roger we all love your pics.

Darren

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2007, 11:53 AM   #9

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the updated review Roger. I can really see the benefits of that device and it looks like the cost is prety reasonable. I don't think it will get me shots as good as yours, but maybe it is time to move from Lens Buying Addiction to Accessory Buying Addiction.

Tim
Hi to YA!!! Tim. Thank you for the kind words and for looking. Seems like everything about cameras takes more money and the wish list just keeps getting bigger.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Old Apr 19, 2007, 11:54 AM   #10

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Impressive! It does seem to work well for you, and I love the first one. Think your birds might be House Finches, they look like the picture in my field guide and they would be common in your area. There's another finch that is similar that might be in New Mexico (Cassin's Finch), but I think yours look more like the House Finchpicture (they don't have a full picture of the Cassin's).
mtngal, thanks for the information and for taking the time to look. I tried to look them up but no luck on my effort.

TOTALLY WACKY roger