Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 20, 2007, 2:06 AM   #1

OK the AF goofed and focused on the railing/piles not person on the fence. But hand held 400mm (efective 600mm) at 1/45th sec?.... yeah that SR is just HORRID hunh! ?

And yes a bit underexposed but it is post sunset.... and both are other than reduction for posting, pure out of the camera JPG shots. No post what so ever, not even sharpening.
Attached Images

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2007, 2:09 AM   #2

Yeah.... here too hunh? (and this about a 50% crop) This 1/125t but still well under less than half "safe shutter" speed (1/400th min) especially considering the 250k mile distance wiggle factor.
Attached Images

Old Apr 20, 2007, 5:55 PM   #3

It looks like a lens with potential Hayward. I too have been impressed with the SR if I do my part. I may not get every shot underextreme conditions but I have certainly gotten many that I would not have if I did not have the SR. Which 400mm lens is this again? You are buying them so fast it is hard to keep track.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2007, 11:16 PM   #4

hayward, can you post a pic of the actual lens and a fullsize sample pic?

I may be interested in grabbing one and a tiny pic is hard to judge
Gazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 12:25 AM   #5

Its a Phoenix AF100-400mm f/4.5-6.7

For a lens pic here is the expired Ebay listing
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...;rd=1&rd=1

A full sized image would be too big to post here... I could EMAIL you one.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 12:38 AM   #6
TC3

A friend took a chance on this lens....his was very lacking in contrast just as that posted pic shows but maybe it can be sorted in PP. He ended up selling it on
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 12:46 AM   #7

For a no direct light (post sunset, note how white the pier lights are) shot I'd say the contrast was pretty good. Very crisp in daylight, with good not gray blacks (and still detail). NOT great or perfect, but not bad at all for the cost... especially $100 UNDER the retail cost NEW if youcan still get one new..

(And a OP relative contrast note I may have also still had the camera 0.5 or 1 stop under from shooting the sunset)

As far as the moon shot, there was no real contrast with still light sky... but there is detail in the moon.

At any rate, the point to the post was the SR not the particular lens qualiy, but here is a better indication of its sharpnes and contrast. (This at 270mm f/5.6 and no post processing but crop/size.... plus totally winging it just scaning the 180+ degree scene...paused and hit the sutter.... before she....HE... noticed. :roll

That shot (at least tech quality wise isn't worth a low $100 range for an100-400mm zoom???? (and even $100 more new).... and this was a toally winging it panning by OH that is interesting LIGHT.... and I do mean that is what attracted me (often more than subject) Best lens ever made.... of course not.... but lets see you beat it at $130 shipped (EVEN $230 NEW).... and YES.... my ($999) BIGMA cravings are now greatly relieved/placated :-)

Pretty good AF (because of the...again escp for price... lens contrast, and what AF systems work off of..... even at full zoom f/6.7.... in low natural light....(well after sunset), AF is rarely an issue (excpt MAYBE 1 miss... and that is often MY mistake of be not in center point AF at those light level).... plus if second attempt is possible before shot gone, almost always right on.

Again the thing AF works on the contrast (even in low light) quality of the lens.... and how well this lens does (especially with SR) does in very low light for the numbers.

AND BEFORE CLUBBED...... not an absolute.... but a remarkable for the cost (you would have to spend $500 more for, at least to get something SIGNIFICANTLY better.
Attached Images