Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 21, 2007, 7:42 AM   #1

OK I know this is hard without being there and seeing the conditions, but I was just curious about some you power user opinions around setting.

I took these photos in mid afternoon on a partly cloudy day. Used all auto settings, didn't change a thing. The 1st picture the camera chose 200 ISO, 1/500 at f/16. The other picture at 21MM was 1/500 at f/13. Aside from composition choices what setting changes would you power users have considered to catch the photo.

I did not have tripod, or filter available.
Attached Images

Bowenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2007, 7:43 AM   #2

opps forgot second picture
Attached Images

Old Apr 21, 2007, 10:22 AM   #3

This isn't really advice, but I noticed you may have a dust particle on your sensor. Notice the small speck close to the top-left corner.
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2007, 10:35 AM   #4

Bowenp wrote:
Quote:
OK I know this is hard without being there and seeing the conditions, but I was just curious about some you power user opinions around setting.

I took these photos in mid afternoon on a partly cloudy day.* Used all auto settings, didn't change a thing.* The 1st picture the camera chose 200 ISO, 1/500 at f/16. The other picture at 21MM was 1/500 at f/13.* Aside from composition choices what setting changes would you power users have considered to catch the photo.

I did not have tripod, or filter available.
Certainly no advice.
First thing: which camera you are using? Let us know . Was that K10D?
Also shoot same scene with Aperture priority and see which you like most.Does not cost you a penny.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2007, 1:21 PM   #5

There are a couple of things I notice about this. This will be some random thoughts/ramblings, hope you don't mind (and feel free to ignore them if you don't think they are useful).

First, I really like the picture and think that the difference in aperture isn't going to make a difference with the composition of the scene. The spot does look like dust, time to get out the hand air blower (and the spot removal tool).

That said, the exposure is the same with both pictures - both look a little underexposed on this monitor (does it look that way to you?). I think some of that is the camera's natural tendency to underexpose a bit to not blow out the highlights when faced withlarge dynamic range scenes(my DS was that way). But I think the biggest reason is what's out there. What type of metering were you using? I would guess matrix rather than spot metering, or even center weighted. The scene has all kinds of white ice floating around, and snow/ice will always confuse a camera's metering (so much reflected light, general rule is to set the camera to overexpose when shooting snow scenes). It's possible that with the wider view, the camera took into account more of the darker patches of water, thereby setting a bigger aperture. In any case, I wouldn't worry about the differences at all.

Another lighting factor to consider - where was the sun? From the shadows, it looks like it was to the side and rear of the lighthouse? That's always going to be difficult.

If it were my picture, I'd be very happy with them as you shot them, and would use software to adjust the white ice only, leaving the rest alone as much as possible (I like high contrast pictures, and think that your scene was probably very high contrast). I would NOT have been happy if I had had the camera set to spot metering andmetered off of the dark shadows, thereby blowing out most of the scene (done that only too often!). As Daniel said, it's digital, play around with different metering/exposure/aperture options and see what you get. There's always the delete key.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2007, 4:53 PM   #6

I like high contrast photos also and like what you have there, but I would pull just a bit of detail out of the shadows in Photoshop in the second photo.

The camera has preserved the details in the snow and ice, now you need to pull some out of the dark shadows and you photo will be even nicer than it already is.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2007, 5:02 PM   #7

Thanks didn't see it till now
Old Apr 21, 2007, 5:03 PM   #8

istDL with standard lens kit
Old Apr 21, 2007, 5:10 PM   #9

Good points and good suggestions. I keep forgetting to play with the metering on shots of great contrast. The sun was coming form the right side at about a 2:00 PM angle. Couldn't stay or wait till evening so I had to live with it at the time I took them.

I go there once a months so I'll be able to try again soon.

You know I really love the way the Internet has changed these small communities we put together. really cool that I can get suggestions form all over the planet vs. the old way of two or three friends.

I have an old baby snot extractor that looks perfect as a blower. You folks think that will work?

Old Apr 21, 2007, 5:29 PM   #10

So long as it is completely clean, then yes. I bought a turkey baster for the DL2 (£1.99 for expensive model! well it is for the camera) and worked really well until I had to do a proper sensor clean.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote