Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 22, 2007, 12:56 AM   #1

Pretty much, all lenses have their applications.....

But boy again was this a wonderfull and surprising aplication for a fast "A" lens.

An "M" lens could do much the same on the K10D.... but other than counting clicks pretty hard to see that aperture ring in the dark.... but not if you want to do things the other way around, and have shutter be the priority.... in this case M or A 1.7 likely the same results, but A's generally go for about the same as M's in the normal FL range so why not an A if you can snag one?

FA's much more... and on a normal prime MF is not a big deal/inconvenience, while MF on a zoom can be a real time consuming pain in the butt.

But also nice just to have the A side reported and the camera VF showing it, and at pretty low used cost compared to a current, or even old 1.7 FA, and yet just a triffle more than a M.

And if you have not ever tried to shoot fireworks.... AF OFF is a MUST... that will never work!!! even with the best AF system/lens on earth.

Still it astounded me at how fast and accurate the K10D was, in shutter changing AE mode (lens was fixed at f/1.7 or 2 ...AV aspect of P mode).

And it was all over the place.... from 1/6 sec (previously posted yellow flower looking shot) to as high as 1/500th of a sec.... why shooting fireworks totally manual is not usually good results either... at best lucky ball park..

Plus even though Pentax recomends against using SR in a pan and tilt situation, again some shots being as slow as 1/6th sec even the SR did a pretty admiralbe job, as I was keeping the rocket ball centered until apex slowdown/burst and more or less freezing, and clicking.

Yet the 10D rarely got it wrong maybe 10 out of 190 shots.... and likely my fault anticipating too much and still dark sky fraction of sec before burst when the AE was calculated.

And as I said before this was a FURIOUS fireworks show.... some statistics...

Having now checked the time stamps.... it lasted 11 min.... seemed longer.... and 190 shots... or one shot every 3.4 sec.... thats how fast it was happening... and I MISSED stuff.

But with no tine to check shots it was ALL just keep clicking and hope.... yet the 10D and near antique 50mm "A" lens did an admirable job... with an under 2% failure rate, shooting rapid fire.

OK enough babbling heres a few more shots....

Oh there's that moon again

Attached Images

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2007, 12:57 AM   #2

Attached Images

Old Apr 22, 2007, 12:59 AM   #3

Attached Images

Old Apr 24, 2007, 7:57 AM   #4

I've found that shooting fireworks is a lot of trial and error (and luck). I always shoot in shutter priority mode, with a lot of different exposure lengths.

One tip someone gave me a while ago, but I've never quite gotten right is to lock the shutter open and cover the lens between explosions to get a lot of fireworks in the same shot. I know you could do this in photoshop, but there is something to be said for the knowledge gained doing it the old school way.
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2007, 1:03 PM   #5

Shooting fireworks is kind of like shooting lightning in that as long as it appears in the exposure somewhere, it'll come out fine. The trick is trying to make for an interesting composition, and trying to get just the right shutter speed. Too fast and you don't get as many sparks and bursts, too slow and blur from camera movement becomes too obvious.

Personally, I'd probably take the kit lens to go shooting a fireworks show. I find that wide angle shots tend to look more impressive and are less prone to shake, and having a wide aperture isn't really that necessary. I've managed decent firework shots with my digicam, but that thing has an advantage over my K100D because of it's infinite burst.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 12:45 AM   #6
TC3

I shoot fireworks on a tripod with the widest lens i have at f11 and exposures are on bulb. I use a black card to move in front of lens to capture a scene. Works for me and it is a simple thing anyone can do to get half decent results
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 2:05 PM   #7

TC3 wrote:
Quote:
I shoot fireworks on a tripod with the widest lens i have at f11 and exposures are on bulb. I use a black card to move in front of lens to capture a scene. Works for me and it is a simple thing anyone can do to get half decent results

Only time I have shot fireworks, last New Years Eve/Day, I did exactly the same, but I used my brother to hold the card. :? (well, it was New Years Eve!) With that technique I could get "multiple exposures" and catch more than one burst in the same picture. Came out as well as one could hope for, considering the photographers "happy mood".:crazy:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

Kjell

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 4:02 AM   #8

Yeah and actually though with things coming faster than every 3 seconds... not really any play time, but actually the K10D has a multi exposure mode that would be one area it would likely work real well...with light always against black background.... but vs the typical small FW show one every 20 sec this....

was so fast and furious there was really no need for multiple exposure.... the whole thing was almost a grand finalie start to finish, that became FRANTICALLY BALISTIC the last 20 sec or so.

There was almost always remnants still in the sky by the tme the next thing went off.