Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 23, 2007, 2:33 AM   #11
PDL

This is why I have de-coupled the shutter button from AF on both my *ist Ds and K10D. I use the AF locked on the center AF zone - push the button and it focuses on the "thing" - release the button and I can manually shift the focus to what I think is right.

Do not let the camera make the choice - it will not pick the correct object for focus enough times to be usable. Become one with your camera - it should be second nature - so you can get those moving objects.

Also - if you are having issues making sure you are getting the right "thing" in focus - perhaps purchase a split image screen?

PDL
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 5:05 AM   #12

User testing of these cameras and posting their findings are invaluable. Thus far, it seems that the K10D is a bit erratic vs. the DS.

In my opinon it should not be any different or harder than the DS to get the shots one expects. Especially when it is a fleeting moment such as sports, kids, wildlife and the like.

Nothing more frustrtating than to get results less than expected from a camera with all things being even. When another same make (Pentax) camerais more reliable it makes me wonder about going with the K10D. Finding its niche and workarounds is one thing but to be unrealiable such as what I have seen in this and previous posts has me balking at getting a K10D. In fact, I bought another body from another make instead due to viewing posts like these. I am now shooting four weddings I can't afford to miss or lose shots.

Real results from a very credible, knowledgabel user who posts great images with an excellent camera.

The K10 should be better and possibly can be but straight out as I have seen the jury is still out in it being a consistent performer.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 5:49 AM   #13

PDL wrote:
Quote:
This is why I have de-coupled the shutter button from AF on both my *ist Ds and K10D. I use the AF locked on the center AF zone - push the button and it focuses on the "thing" - release the button and I can manually shift the focus to what I think is right.

Do not let the camera make the choice - it will not pick the correct object for focus enough times to be usable. Become one with your camera - it should be second nature - so you can get those moving objects.

Also - if you are having issues making sure you are getting the right "thing" in focus - perhaps purchase a split image screen?

PDL
Since I posted that I used manual focus, I am not letting the camera make the choice and there is no reason that the DS should be more reliable than the K10D when using the same lens and MF.

Also, I need a camera that will make those choices and make the correct ones, like the DS does if something happens that I need to take a quick shot of and my copy of the K10D is not that camera. Possibly mine is the only one that acts that way and just needs repair, but since I have had two K10D's now, I am beginning to wonder.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 11:09 AM   #14
PDL

I guess I need to be more specific - when relying on manual focus - the green hexagon does work - correct? Have you forced the camera to use only the center focus point or are you letting it pick which of the 11 points it is using. In your image the K10D is producing sharp images - it just looks like the center Focus point is not being used to provide you that feed back.

If I were you I would seriously think about getting a split image focus screen. Sort of pricey but what the hey. Also, I would try the AF button with the center AF point on the K10D rather than relying on manual focus all the time, specially with the default viewfinder screen which leaves a lot to be desired in focus assistance. I am not impressed with all the automation in these cameras either. That said - it is hard to beat AF over manual in fast moving situation (said from experience) and the lack of DOF markings on the lenses is just a pain.

Sorry to hear that your K10D is not up to snuf - mine is - and I still have my *ist Ds too. I printed an image of Mt. Cook at 20x30 off the Ds and it came out beautiful. Nice camera, no I will not give it up - I might let my son use it - but it will not be going away in the near term.

PDL

PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 11:49 AM   #15

Tom,

Please keep us posted as you try to get this worked through. The K10 is likely my next camera but issues like this may keep me in the K100 for awhile yet. I am very interested in what you learn.

Thanks,

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote