Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 22, 2007, 11:37 AM   #1

Took a bunch of photos of Sharptail Grouse dancing the other day and use my DS as well as my K10D with the same lens from the same spot.

Taken with my DS, all of which were in sharp focus.

Taken with my K10D and two out of three were like this where the focus was just in front of the bird, the other one was always sharp like the above photo

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2007, 11:43 AM   #2

Looks like you need to spend some time in the k10d debug menu
Gazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 12:55 PM   #3

Your camera seems to have a problem - it's either significantly front focusing or else the center focus point is way off (you DID have it set to center focus and not user select with the lower point selected - I bring that up from painful personal experience where I did just that once). I'm beginning to think that your camera has some problems and its about time for you to be talking to Pentax about repairs. I would not be comfortable trying to go through the de-bug menu myself.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 1:34 PM   #4

With the grass in front of the Grouse being in sharp focus, it looks as if you have the K10D on auto focus point, instead of centre point.

I did this when taking pics of some otters at the zoo. Took ages to figure out what I was doing wrong. The camera kept selecting the closet point with an outside sensor.

Just a thought.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 2:32 PM   #5

Actually I was focusing manually making sure the bird was in sharp focus before taking the photo with both cameras and my K10D does front focus (my first one back focused) about two thirds of the time, then the next on is right on. This is only an issue with shallow DOF such as this example where exact focus is critical.

The image I get recorded is not the same as the one in the viewfinder, as that is always in focus on the subject.

Tom
Old Apr 22, 2007, 3:57 PM   #6

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
The image I get recorded is not the same as the one in the viewfinder, as that is always in focus on the subject.
Then the problem should be with the mirror or the matte screen – or the sensor – one of them being out of place.

Has this changed since you bought the camera or has it been like this from the beginning? Anyway, to me it seems like a warranty case.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 6:58 PM   #7

Hi Tom,

My K10 also does some strange focusing at times. When it's on, the results can be stunning, when it's off, it's just disappointing, especially since the DS seems to be so consistently accurate, and the K10 handles so well in so many ways. Ive been trying to determine what exactly is happening, as manual focusing can be iffy too. I've tried not relying on the focus indicator (which usually seems to be pretty much right on) -- just the VF. I've tried to focus concentrating on the center, the areas just off center -- all around the center, etc. and I just can't get a handle on this.

If I'm using AF, sometimes the AF sensor seems to catch on to something above the subject, and sometimes below (but it should be far enough from the sensor point to not matter), and the subject looks in focus -- I can see the feather detail in the VF. I realize that handholding long lenses is difficult for AF because of the constantly moving sensor point, but I always wait until I'm sure it locked on the subject -- or at least the edge of it. The results from my DS says that I know how to do this. . . I've even tried (believe it or not) using a tripod, to give me a steady frame in the VF.

If I could find a consistent workaround, I'd use it and I wouldn't care, but this is proving to be frustrating. . . and as you know, with most of my birding stuff, a narrow DOF is something I really can't do much about.

I'm going to play with this some more, but I'm thinking that it's likely that the K10 might be taking a vacation to Colorado sometime in the future.

If you contact Pentax Service concerning this, I'd appreciate it if you kept me informed about any suggestions they might have, and/or if they fix it. TIA

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 8:17 PM   #8

Scott, that is exactly what I was saying, when it is on it is great, but for thing like the grouse dancing I am finding myself not having complete confidence in the K10D, which is why I took the DS with me. I have tried to figure this out, but there doesn't seem to be any work around for the problem, since sometimes it is there and other times it is not.

My first K10D back focused all the time in shallow DOF situations, so I got Pentax to take it back and replace it with the one I have now. They later contacted me and told me the one I sent back was within specifications so far as they were concerned, which I found to be strange.

I will let you know what they say, since I am contacting them again, but I am waiting for the firmware update that is coming on the 28th if this month first.

Tom
Old Apr 22, 2007, 9:51 PM   #9

ennacac wrote: [/b]

Quote:
Scott, that is exactly what I was saying, when it is on it is great, but for thing like the grouse dancing I am finding myself not having complete confidence in the K10D, which is why I took the DS with me. I have tried to figure this out, but there doesn't seem to be any work around for the problem, since sometimes it is there and other times it is not.

My first K10D back focused all the time in shallow DOF situations, so I got Pentax to take it back and replace it with the one I have now. They later contacted me and told me the one I sent back was within specifications so far as they were concerned, which I found to be strange.

I will let you know what they say, since I am contacting them again, but I am waiting for the firmware update that is coming on the 28th if this month first.

Tom
Did you use AF confirmation as well?? And it agreed w/ your focus??

Try swapping the K10/DS screens.. BTW: Any meter problems w/ M lenses. It may fix that too

http://www.jayandwanda.com/photograp...man_focus.html
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 11:47 PM   #10

Yes the blinking AF lights were working, but I used the screen to make sure the focus was right on before taking the photo, but the resulting image was out of focus most of the time. When it was on it worked perfectly, but that was not often enough for me to count on the K10D for photos I would have a hard time doing over.

Tom