Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 22, 2007, 6:55 PM   #1

Mynew K10D gives "memory card error" messages (not the "card not formatted" message) upon insertion with two 512MB Sandisk Ultra II cards - one used in my K100D, and one unused (but accessable in the K100D). A newSandisk Ultra II 1GB card is accessed by the K10D, as are used 64MB and 128MB cards from an Optio S4i. The K10D disk access lightblinks upon insertionofthe readable cards, but not with the 512's.

Does anyone know if this is a card problem, a compatability problem,or a camera problem?
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2007, 12:16 AM   #2

Never encountered this.

Try formatting the cards in the k10d to see if they work then.

It is possible, though unlikely that the k10d has more rigorous requirements as far as file system integrity is concerned. Errors the k100d would ignore cause the k10d to spit out an error message.

Also, check for dirty contacts on the card.

If the camera had a problem, it would do the same with EVERY card
Gazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 6:08 AM   #3

Memory cards can act funny. If you can try those 2 cards in another reader.
I've had problems with sd-cards, one for example I placed in my daughters mp3 player that did something to it so it couldn't be used anymore. Not formated or anything.

I've brought it back to the shop where I got it, they tested it, saw it was defective and replaced it. Sd cards can normally also be returned to the manufacturer.

Ronny

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 6:53 AM   #4

I had a Sandisc Ultra II 2 Gig card become unusable in my K10D and it was replaced by the vendor I got it from as there was something wrong with the card.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 12:53 PM   #5

Gazander wrote:
Quote:
It is possible, though unlikely that the k10d has more rigorous requirements as far as file system integrity is concerned. Errors the k100d would ignore cause the k10d to spit out an error message.
Quote:
If the camera had a problem, it would do the same with EVERY card
There is a statement in the K10D manual to the effect that cards from other cameras should not be used in this one. I had assumed they meant other brands of cameras, since the other cards work inat least one other Pentax. I know nothing about how the card or camera contacts are wired, but is it not possible that the camera cannot detect a 512MB card as a result of some defect inits detection mechanism - for instance an inability to read one of the contacts if different contacts work with different card sizes?

I think it unlikely that two cards would be similarly defective - especially premium cards like these - although anything is possible with electronics. I am hesitant to try reformatting the unused 512MB card in the K10D lest it ruin the card ifthe camerahas a problem. Have any of you been able to swap this size or type of card successfully between the K10D and K100D?

Thanks to all for the speedy replies.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 1:17 PM   #6

Not used that particular combination, but I have swapped 1Gb cards from DL2 to K10D and back again with no problem.

That said, i have just tried a Sandisk 512Mb card that I use in a little point and shoot in the K10D and it works fine with no problems. This card has been in a compact, a bridge, a PDA, a compact and now the K10D.

I would suggest that the card is not performing up standard and the K10D is just more fussy than the K100D

Darren

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 3:34 PM   #7

penolta wrote:
Quote:
Iam hesitant to try reformatting the unused 512MB card in the K10D lest it ruin the card ifthe camerahas a problem. Have any of you been able to swap this size or type of card successfully between the K10D and K100D?
How can formatting a card in one camera render it U/S in another.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 3:58 PM   #8

I agree with rhermans, memory cards can indeed act funny. I have yet to find a single brand (Sandisc, Panasonic, etc) that will work in each of my devices (camera, PDA, MP3 player, and computer). Instead, it's hit and miss until I find the right brand for each or combination of each. Having said that, the Panasonic cards seem to be compatible with the most items.

Like most others suggest, your best bet is to format the card with the camera and then use the card only with that camera.

stewart
stewart_photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 5:01 PM   #9

Well. I tried to reformat it - three times - and each time it failed, showing the same card error message. One time the format screen appeared, then aborted.The card still works in the K100D, so it wasn't even touched.

I ordered this camera from a usually reliable mail-order house, but there was no warranty card in the box. Although the camera looked unused, I called, fearing thatit might have been a return (for this problem, which I didn't mention) registered to someone else, voiding the warranty,but they insisted the camera was not an open-box,and was new from inventory (what else would they say?), and are sending a warranty card by mail. They did offer the option of an exchange, which would probably expire in a few days. I tried to buy another 512 locally to try, as there is no time for mail-order, but couldn't find one - the big-box store salesmen claim nobody is buying less than 1GB now that cameras have such high capacities. Rather than search all over town after trying three stores, I bought the 1GB on sale at one of them,and itworked. So now I have to decide whether to wait3or moreweeks for another camera which might or might not be any different, or just use the 1GB (and the 2GB which came with it, but is still unopened in case of a return) and just not worrythat the 512's might indicate a systemic problem.

:angry:

Thanks for all your input.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 8:28 AM   #10

Slightly off topic, but Woot.com has 2x512MB SD cards for $5.99 today (plus $5 shipping). It's a cheap replacement if your card ends up being dead.
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote