Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 23, 2007, 9:22 AM   #1

I went to an ice show called True colors yesterday and took some shots with K100D and FA 50mm F1.4. While I tried all kind of settings the best that came out were at around F2.8, 1/100s ISO 400. No PP just resizing from RAW.

DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2007, 9:35 AM   #2

Great shots!

Bad light or not..... just great!

I want to buy myself a FA 50mm 1.7! (maybe this summer)

Rudo
Rudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 12:29 PM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

These exposures are phenomenal!! You hit the right balance between ISO, shutter speed and aperture. Very nice indeed!

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 12:50 PM   #4

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
These exposures are phenomenal!! You hit the right balance between ISO, shutter speed and aperture. Very nice indeed!

Jay
I shot about 140 in RAW and I could probably pick 10 like these. A lot had to do with framing/composition being off. I also experimented a lot: playing with ISO, auto vs. manual focus (mostly set to infinity due to the distance), aperture etc.

I set ISO on Auto most of the time allowing for up to 800. For some reason it mainly went to 400. This could be probably because of the spotlights used during the show and how I framed them.

Many shots had blown highlights which might have to do with the meter copying with the difficult scenes. I wish I had a 70-200mm F2.8 lens or so. Getting a better framing could have helped the meter.

I tried to go wide open, F1.4-F2.4, but it gave a lot of purple fringing in addition to softness etc. Too much light bouncing off the ice. It might work better at other shows.

Old Apr 23, 2007, 1:11 PM   #5

Lovely shots in very strange lighting.

Darren

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 8:48 PM   #6

Great shots of some sexy athletic ladies!

How are you finding the focus speed of the FA50? Faster or slower than the kitlens?
Gazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 10:51 PM   #7

Gazander wrote:
Quote:
Great shots of some sexy athletic ladies!

How are you finding the focus speed of the FA50? Faster or slower than the kitlens?
They were more like high school students some even younger.

The FA50's focusing speed is as fast as it gets with Pentax. Because of the distance it did not have to do much thou. It was close to infinity for the most part.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 10:57 PM   #8

Ah, too old. :-)

(just kidding!)

You have a k100, right? They say AF is greatly improved over the previous models.

If you shot raw, it'd be interesting to see what kind of shadow detail it captured. I've found some surprising things in my DL's raw pics. Certainly super-noisy, but i suck at the PP. i'm sure there's a way to bring out the details more cleanly.
Gazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2007, 10:22 PM   #9

These are really wonderful! That lens is super-sharp and it shows with your pictures.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2007, 10:56 PM   #10

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
These are really wonderful! That lens is super-sharp and it shows with your pictures.
It surely is. To put things in perspective: I just ordered DA 70mm F2.4 which costs more than 2 times FA50. Next time I go to a show I will definetily try them both. I hope it is worth it. Now I need to find a good time to tell my wife...:-)