Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 24, 2007, 9:44 AM   #1

This may be an obvious question, but if it is I haven't found it. Is there not a way to set the K100 to take photos in b&w without taking the photo and then converting with the filter?

I am taking a photography class and he wants us to take photos in b&w without post processing. It is a digital photography class.

Thanks, Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2007, 4:57 PM   #2

You can't capture in B&W on the K100D. You can only apply the filter in the camera after capture, and then only to jpegs, not raw.

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2007, 9:05 PM   #3

Thank you, Russ. That's what I was afraid of. So, I'll just take my photos and use the filter on them afterward for the class.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 12:33 AM   #4

Seems like a rather odd demand.... since most but P&S don't shoot B&W and even many of them. (though maybe not now)

I suppose the teachers idea being that you never see the results in color and making your reshooting descisions, on the B&W image/contrasts in review.

Then again many P&S do a pretty horrid job of B&W often using just the green channel to do it.

You can get much closer to B&W film in post blending all three channels in B&W and negates the need to use color filters you'd have to with film for special contrast effects.

PS The K10Dis the same way, just a playback filter, which does not do as well as even basic post (like Irfanview) software does.

I'm guessing it uses just green channel for the conversion too and and accidental very blue due to WB being still set to a custom, I tried to convert in cam came out very dark (since little green info) , even in Irfanview it cam out at near same levels as the "blue shot" was.

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 7:28 PM   #5

Yes, when he commented on my photos he did say that most digital cameras didn't allow b&w shots. Just some offering post production in-camera. He knows his photography stuff, but tends to not be that great sometimes at relaying what he wants of us. But, I am learning a lot.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 9:49 PM   #6

I envy you your opportunity to take the class. Maybe some day if I ever move closer to work (not likely!) or retire, I'd like to take some photography classes.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 12:44 AM   #7

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
Yes, when he commented on my photos he did say that most digital cameras didn't allow b&w shots. Just some offering post production in-camera. He knows his photography stuff, but tends to not be that great sometimes at relaying what he wants of us. But, I am learning a lot.
But again what disapoints me (other than the aspect of never seeing result in other than B&W) That would be such a requirement.?

And again probably all SLR's it is only post in cam conversion not actually shooting.

So this is a snapshot Digital photo class? .....just joshing you.... but what is in your prof's head???? Hasn't looked at digital photograp the in the pasdt several years???
(Or he'd know what he is trying to preach against id really BS :? )
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 5:43 PM   #8

Hayward, Well, it has turned out to be a little less SLR instruction than I thought it would be. He seems to be just touching on a whole lot of topics. Flash, macro, b&w, composition, manual settings and what is a camera were the six week's main topics. (Listed backwards here) So far it's been mostly forcing me to think about what I'm doing. Some people in the class don't really have SLR's, so he allows you to do what youcan with your camera.

mtngal - The class is online and only 6 weeks long. So, I can do the stuff whenever I have time. I work full time, too and spend at least an hour on the road every day commuting. (I know you are farther.) You download the lesson from a web page and follow it, then post your homework somewhere on a web page and post a message on the class message board about where it is. Also, you can post messages on the class board asking questions about things and the others in the class and instructor can answer you. It works out pretty well.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 12:58 AM   #9

That sounds like my kind of class - I can deal with internet and doing work on my schedule. I've looked at the extension photography classes, but it's just too late for me, even for one night a week. Some day I might try a workshop type photography course, but until then I just experiment with what you all tell me to do. Works pretty good and I have a great time trying it all out.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote