Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 24, 2007, 10:42 PM   #1

So I started out with a pentax *ist DL, Sold that on ebay as I got a K100D (mostly for shake reduction which i really really like), and along the way have aquired some pretty nice lenses. Now I am itching to upgrade to a K10d. I have read countless reviews on the K10d and I know it is a pretty amazing camera and I have been wanting it for a while now. Now is the time for me to pick up this body and i'm just looking to this forum for some more opinions. So my fellow pentaxians... What say you??
PanagiotisDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2007, 10:53 PM   #2

It depends on what it is that attracts you to the K10. I haven't had any problems with my K10 (not like what Tom has had, though I haven't looked at today's pictures yet). I really having some of the controls on the body instead of in menus. However, as far as basic image quality - I don't think it's any better than the K100 (take a quick look at the link in my thread about my possible lens problem, and look at those comparison pictures from the center part of thephotos - you'll see 100% crops side by side of untouched raw files). There are more pixels for cropping and such, but for most things, I can do without them. It's the controls and the weather sealing that set it apart from the K100. I don't regret getting my K10 and I use it all the time, but I'm not convinced that upgrading is right for everyone.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 12:18 AM   #3

I'd wait for k10d2.... or k10ds, or k12d, or k20d, or k10x or whatever they cann the next version
Gazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 1:13 AM   #4

The 100D move was porobably a mistake.... not that it isn't a good camera, but coming from an *isT other than the SR pretty much an expensive more just side step from there.

I went from an original CRebel 300D, and briefly considered the 100D, but rejected it for that reason since the 10Dwas already annouced and out on time just a couple of months later.

Unless you feally want the added function and control felxiblity of the 10D, not sure I'd say it is something you necessarily should do at this point.

Unless maybe you can sell off the 100D for a good price.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 1:14 AM   #5

I had the DL2 and made the jump to K10D.

To be honest, unless you pixel peep or blow up larger than A3, the increase to 10Mp is not worth it over the 6Mp of the K100D, plus there is the loss of ISO3200.

The main reasons for me personally to get the K10D were

1) the bigger body - the DL2 still felt like a compact/bridge camera

2) the exterior buttons to save so many menu fiddling

3) the continuous shooting to fill a card - makes it feel more liike a film camera

4) the shake reduction and sensor clean - not sure if these have been used, but handy to have.

The best thing to do is to hold it and click a few frames. I liked the look of the vertical grip, but at £160 it is too much, plus I have never used one for the last 20 years, so why start now.

I love the burst mode, helps when watching falconry, and wouldn't be without it now.

As for an update to the K100D - it depends on what you expect to use the camera for. My g/f has my DL2 now, uses it in AUTO and produces as good, if not better shots than me sometimes.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 1:44 AM   #6

Have a look :|

edit: the link would help

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=80
Gazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 1:51 AM   #7
TC3

If you need the k10d features now then go ahead otherwise waitto see what the next new models have waiting for us as the k100d is perfectly capable camera
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 10:35 AM   #8

Thanks for the Advice guys. The thing is, I like the picture quality of the K100d, Im totally satisfied with the camera in that respect. As far as Higher ISO, I BARELY ever go over 800, so the 1600 iso limit of the K10 is well within my bounds. I also appreciate the 100iso that the K10 has. As far as problems with the K100, I like to do alot of manual focusing and manual settings so Im constantly fiddling with the menus to get everything the way I want it. A big attraction for me for the K10d is the fact that alot of that will now be available directly instead of through menus which will considerabley speed my shooting. I have missed way too many shot opportunities with my K100 and *ist just cause I could not change settings fast enough, whether is white balance or iso. Also, the bigger/brighter viewfinder to me is a HUGE thing as I use the viewfinder temendously. Finally, I also would like a camera with a bigger body as I find the K100d just a bit too small to handle efficiently.

Finally, I think I have reached a point that I guess im just looking for something a bit more professional. Not that the K100 cannot take amazing pictures, as in that respect it has served me very well. Its just that (without mentioning any names) My boss has just gotten a DSLR that is a direct competitor with the K10d, and I did some side by side 10mp vs 6mp comparisons and I knew instantly that 10mp is the way to go. There is too much of a difference (specifically for cropping) to keep the 6mp and feel happy about it.

I guess in my mind, the way I see it is that the K100d is an amazing entry level DLSr that can take some awesome pictures, but the K10d has advanced functionality and 10mp sensor that gives the user alot more creative possibility. I dont think it is expensive, and as a matter of fact, for what you are getting I think the K10 is a great deal.

To be totally honest (and I know I shouldnt even say it) But using my bosses camera made me even think about changing outfits altogether, and selling my stuff because of how the functionality of his camera worked out. I will not do that, however I am just hoping that the K10d in practical use, can reach the level of that specific camera that I have compared to my K100d.. (and judging by reviews, Im fairly confident that it does)

One final note: When are the new crop of Pentax DSLR's coming out? Is it worth the wait, and what price tag will they carry?

Thanks again for reading and for your responses
PanagiotisDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 2:17 AM   #9

PanagiotisDJ wrote:
Quote:
I guess in my mind, the way I see it is that the K100d is an amazing entry level DLSr that can take some awesome pictures, but the K10d has advanced functionality and 10mp sensor that gives the user alot more creative possibility.
And as I and others have said... from *isT probably jumping to 100D was probaly a poor choice than just waiting for the 10D (announced and delived on time 2 months later to begin with (No C or N person would EVER believe :roll: )..... at 100D release

ABSOLUTELY YES..... if all the added features, fleaxiblity, and contols the K10D adds, ARE what are IMPORTANT to you then, YES GO FOR IT.... just expecting better pics because it is a better cam FORGET IT, and wait for nex gen before moving up.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 3:05 AM   #10

Here is my opinion:
I did not see the K100D as a big step up from my ist DL, so I waited and got the K10D. The images have a different look to them, more "film like" or artistic, I guess is how to describe them. The DL had a harsh digital look way too contrasty. The K10D is a great camera, but I think it is a bit harder/slower to use because of all the features to remember and still a lot of the functionality is still buried in menus.

I find that the quality in RAW mode is the only way to shoot with this camera. I do not like the sharpening of the in-camera jpegs. I noticed right away with the K10D that I needed sharper lenses(more$$).

Weather sealing, dust removal, and shake reduction did not greatly affect my purchase decision in any way. I like the bigger size and weight when shooting-at the start of the day, but fatigue sets in much sooner than the using DL especially in portrait orientation(not using battery grip).

Focus speed was a big issue with the DL and the K10D has solved that problem to about 85% satisfaction. If we ever get the SDM lenses, that should solve the focus speed issue and hopefully with low light also. The lack of availability of lenses I desire to purchase is a real negative.

The viewfinder is an improvement, but not noticably better than the competition. I don't like the metering compared to the other manufacturers. The custom white balance setting is great on this camera and thats good because the incandesant setting is way off to my indoor lighting.

I got a great deal on the K10D and that is the only reason I stayed in the Pentax system. Overall I figure a 30% savings across the board compared to the big 2 with comparable equipment.

If you can wait, do so. There is always something better coming. Take your nice lenses and a memory card to the camera shop and try it out. Also try the other brands taking similar shots. There have been times I spent hours trying different combinations to see what I like.

Hope this helps you and anyone else who cares to read it.
jabilson007 is offline   Reply With Quote