Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 25, 2007, 12:20 AM   #1

I hate working with raw images.

For each image, I can play with the curves/levels and generate two or three slightly different but equally appealing versions of the same pic.

If I shoot JPEG, i have no such worries.

I'm finding my OCD kinda hard to deal with these days.

That's all for now.

Oh, and

04/24/2007 11:26 P.M. REGISTERED WITH CLEARING AGENCY;RELEASED BY CLR AGENCY. NOW IN-TRANSIT
Gazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2007, 1:46 AM   #2

If you place a white (bleached) coffee filter in front of your lens while you do a manual white balance and do a white balance exposure through the coffee filter, you won't have to do white balance in post production. The in camera white balance will be fantastic every time.

Better yet, pick up a white balance lens cap on eBay for a few dollars.

Tom Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 2:02 AM   #3

I too hate working with raw images right now...No one knows what the future may hold though!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 9:09 AM   #4

Gazander wrote:
Quote:

For each image, I can play with the curves/levels and generate two or three slightly different but equally appealing versions of the same pic.

That's all for now.

Oh, and

04/24/2007 11:26 P.M. REGISTERED WITH CLEARING AGENCY;RELEASED BY CLR AGENCY. NOW IN-TRANSIT
My problem is that I do the same things with jpg files as I do with raw - play with them, adjust them, etc. I get better results doing all those things with raw files than I do with jpg, so I just shoot raw. And yes, no matter what I'll end up with several equally good but slightly different versions of the same picture (sigh).

Getting closer and closer - you should see it very soon!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 2:39 PM   #5

I'm kinda like Mtngal in that I'll also tend to tweak the hell out of any JPGs that I like. That usually means ending up with a hard drive loaded up with bloated PSD files. Since I can do most of the typical tweaks to a RAW file without having to save a new file, it cuts down on time and storage (well, perhaps storage evens out compared to shooting JPG).

The biggest problem I had with RAW conversion was trying to get all the different sliders to behave. It always seemed like once I got one setting the way I liked it, another slider would undo it while fixing something else. I eventually found that I could drastically reduce the workload by flattening all the values to 0 and setting the curve to linear, then just manipulating the curve. Sometimes I'd then go and adjust some sliders, but at that point the image is practically done and I just want to do some minor tweaks.

The advantage to doing it this way is that once you get a proper curve (which usually takes about 4-8 seconds), you have a perfect base on which to make your adjustments. If you think your adjustments went to far, it's not a big deal to set all the sliders to 0 again and make another attempt.

I posted about this in the Tips and Tricks forum: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=78

In the thread I mostly show how I use the technique to correct for more problematic photos, but the last photo I work on in there shows how I typically use it on normal photos.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 3:08 PM   #6

Thanks for the link Corpsy.

I have my K10D file set to zero, but I never really played with the curves. Your explanation was easy to follow, and I will give it a go.

Thanks

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 8:27 PM   #7

Gazander wrote:
Quote:

That's all for now.

Oh, and

I tend to agree. I am playing with RAW because I have a lot to learn there. However, if a shot is crap in RAW, I can't make it into a good jpeg. If it is a good jpeg, there is room for the slight adjustment to make it better. My main issue is time. Time spent working with RAW is time I could be spending doing something else, such as keeping up with this forum or taking photos. I am not ready to give up on RAW, but if I am taking pics seriously, rather than experimenting with a static subject, I go back to jpeg.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 10:55 PM   #8
PDL

I always shoot RAW these days - after I figured out what I can do with it and still have the equivalent of a negative. JPEG is OK for stuff that I do not hold to be important or too interesting - if I find something really nice while shooting JPEG - RAW is just a few clicks away - or on the K10D just push the RAW button. sweet

When I started out with the *ist Ds I did not know anything about RAW - and in the workshop environment that brought me back to photography - RAW would have been really cumbersome to manage. 700+ images in JPEG (I also shot film - but have not finished scanning them - and this was in 2005) - some of them are most definietly keepers - Now I wish I would have known about RAW.

I started shooting an event at work with JPEG in a room with mixed lighting (fluorescent, mercury vapor and tungsten) switched back to RAW so I could get colors to adjust without eating the file for lunch.

Shoot what you want - I just want a negative.

PDL
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 6:26 AM   #9

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
I too hate working with raw images right now...No one knows what the future may hold though!

Da
THOUGH IF YOU HAVE THE CARD SPACE... NICE THING ABOUT THE K10D RAW + JPEG, and one button ON DEMAND.

JPG is good enough just dump the RAW... if not then you have the option to work with the RAW, and dump the orig JPG.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:06 AM   #10

Shooting in RAW allows me to correct a lot of things after taking the shot.

If I shoot in jpeg, I have to think about a lot of things and try to have them correct bofore taking the shot. ie: White balance, proper exposure & etc.

Back in the film days, I didn't have the option to do post processing as I did not have a darkroom so I had to try to get it right at the time I took the shot. I think shooting in jpeg is very much the same in that respect. Subsequently, I do about all of my work in jpeg.
EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote