Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 25, 2007, 3:45 PM   #1

How do i clean my lens (smudges, smears, etc)?

My DH went out and bought me this "Hama 3 in 1 cleaning set" - with a little duster, some liquid and a cloth. There's no instructions on the cleaning set. I'm about 1 day (give or take :lol away from giving birth and I thought "hey, I better make sure this lens is clean" but I put a few drops on the cloth, wiped the lens and now its all streaky and I'm in state (due to the almost 10 month belly, probably) of frustration.

help!
MichelleBuerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2007, 4:43 PM   #2

you may just need to clean it again. after you wash it, dry it with a dry lens cloth. i use a SELVYT jewlers cloth. it's about a foot square. i'll ''dampen'' a corner, swab, and then clean it up with the dry part of the cloth. i highly recommend this cloth. it will amaze you at what it will do to the outside of an old lens body. it's also washable. be sure you get the cloth with the name spelled exactly the way i spelt it above. there are imitators.

roy

oh, congrats on the babe. blue or pink????
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 7:54 PM   #3

It's not a dumb question...we all have to learn about our cameras somehow! Folks on this forum seem always happy to help.

What I do is use well-washed cotton undershirt material, and simply breathe on my lens to fog it, then wipe gently. Sometimes I'll use a 3M microfiber cloth.

Just make sure there's no dirt or grit on the lens before wiping it with a cloth. I use canned air to blow any loose particles off the lens first.

Modern lenses have pretty hard coatings, and are hard to scratch, so as long as you're careful, you're unlikely to damage your lens.

Congratulations, and God bless you and the new one...maybe in a while you could post a photo of baby for us?

Dan
dan-mx-ds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 7:59 PM   #4

a word of caution tho. be careful cleaning the rear lens as the coatings on it are a lot softer than the coatings on the front lens.

roy
Old Jul 13, 2007, 4:20 AM   #5

Had to bump this topic up. less than 24 hours after I posted this, I indeed gave birth to a beautiful baby girl. As you can imagine, I was totally "nesting" in what should have been a clear indicator that labour was about to start, when I was so desperate to have a nice clean camera lens. Unfortunately, I never got back online to see the answer to my question, but the camera did just fine.

http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/phot...66135_7049.jpg

(not that it matters, but the photo is very pink because the room was a round room with windows on 270 degrees of it, shrouded with salmon coloured curtains and it was nearly 6 pm.

http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/phot...35808_5684.jpg

MichelleBuerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2007, 5:49 AM   #6

michelle,
MANY,MANY happy congrats. what's her name??

congrats again,
roy
Old Jul 13, 2007, 6:15 AM   #7

Congrats to you on your new arrival!!!!!!

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2007, 7:48 AM   #8

Congrats to the family extension! And the pictures came out fine as well.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2007, 7:54 AM   #9

A craving for clean lenses? Isn't it usually something more mundane, like pickles in ice cream?? Congratulations, life will never be the same again BUT for the next few years you will have a free model.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2007, 9:49 AM   #10

Michelle, Congratulations! What a beautiful little girl. Those blue eyesare gorgeous! Happy mothering and picture taking!

Glenn

Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote