Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 26, 2007, 4:07 PM   #1

Happened to anyone but me.

Over the last two months I have went on two day trips. My first one was to the De Young Museum in San Francisco for their Bouquets to Art exhibit. Because of the low lighting in most exhibits, there no tripod or monopod rule and their no flash rule I had to shoot everything hand held. So I pushed the ISO to 800 and later 1600.

I was surprised at the number of images that actually turned out. I use the kit 18-55 and the 10-17 fisheye.

My second trip about a month later was back to the Marin Headlands (north side of the Golden Gate Bridge in Northern California). I went with friends that had never been there plus they wanted some help relearning their cameras. So we spent the day and even though I have been there several times before I shot 618 pictures. Well, I didn't releaize it until we were driving home that I didn't reset the ISO from my De Young trip. So I ended up shooting every shot at ISO 1600.

Some of the images are very badly blown out (even though I shot DNG, there are limits) most turned out fine except that they have a great deal of noise. I am trying to decide if I should run noise reduction on them or just convert them all to black and white and pretend it is film grain.

Now I am sure no one else has ever done this. So I thought I would put out my Homer Simpson DOH! moment. :roll:

I have since then set the camera to reset or not remember the ISO setting when I turn off the camera. So if I should shoot at ISO 1600 when I turn the camera off it will default back to auto which is 100 to 400 right now. Hopefully this will help.

Robert
Robert Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2007, 4:26 PM   #2

Robert, I have had my DL for about 7 months and I've done that at least3 or 4 times. The other thingI do is use the manual white balance and for get to switch it back. Hey, blue is a nice color for outdoor shots!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 4:33 PM   #3

You aren't the first and certainly will not be the last! Hope some of your photos came out though.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 4:37 PM   #4

Robert Barnett wrote:
Quote:
I was surprised at the number of images that actually turned out. I use the kit 18-55 and the 10-17 fisheye.

.Robert
nope(tongue in cheek)
i've never ruined a whole set of images that way........
take just the very best and delete the rest. it's tough but at least you will not be trying to fix them. at iso1600 you get very little latitude to work with. mark it up as lesson learned.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 5:49 PM   #5

Robert

Dont feel bad. I have done the Same. I had been shooting at 1600 one night. The next day we had three WWII Bombers land at our local airport. After shooting 300 Pictures and wondering Why I was always at 1/3000, I realized that i Never reset the ISO.
Luckily, after some intensive PP. I was able to clean up most of the images using Neat Image.

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 6:11 PM   #6

Well, at least we can all feel stupid together. In the name of Homer Simpon I declare us all part of "The Brotherhood of Doh!".

Robert
Old Apr 26, 2007, 6:17 PM   #7

I may be a charter member of that brotherhood, Robert. Our priest asked for some pictures of severaleveningservices over Holy Week, and I even bought a new faster lens to be prepared. However, I set the EV compensationthe wrong way, which produced significant underexposure, so the work in RAW was still a challenge to salvage.

Regards from the steep side of the learning curve,

Lawrence
Dr. C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 7:45 PM   #8

Been there, done that, guaranteed I'll do it again. After getting burned with the wrong ISO set (or wrong WB), I now try and make it a habit to reviewmy first couple of frames, and check the colour and exposure. Notice I said try. Old habits being what they are, I fired off a whole afternoons worth of shots on my P&S about a month ago, all at ISO 400 (noisier than 1600 on the K100). DOH!!
silverstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 8:36 PM   #9

Welcome to the club! Last year while vacationing in Siesta Key, Florida with my family I left the setting on ISO 400 on the P&S I had at the time. Now, that was a 3MP Panasonic, which was noisy as hell. After 2 days of shooting I decided to review the images on the TV in the room and my wife was not pleased to say the least. I even recorded short videos at the beach at ISO 400.

On another ocasion I handed over the K100D to my wife to take some shots at a party and set the shooting mode on Auto (at least this is what I thought it was). She would complain about terrible shutter lag but it did not ring any bell. Getting home I realized I mistakenly set in on Bulb:-)
DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:46 PM   #10

Bulb? Now I bet that was interesting! :?

Robert