Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 27, 2007, 2:27 PM   #1

this is andre_L my other name can't be use for some reson so i made a new name.

here are 2 pictures i taken one with a bird and one with a back of a dragonfly. i used a sigma 70-300mm. it was shakey when i was takeing pictures of the bird but more shakey when i was takeing pictures with the dragon fly.

mysticdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2007, 10:36 PM   #2

Hi Andre,

It looks to me like the shake reduction worked for you in both pictures. If I am looking at the dragonfly picture correctly I think you may not have had it quite in focus. I know it is hard to do as I have not yet successfully caught a dragonfly in flight and in focus. On your bird shot, you might be able to bring out some of the detail in the shadow area of his belly with some post processing. Welcome to the forum and keep posting, this is a great place to learn from some great people!

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2007, 5:33 AM   #3

No offense meant.... BUT.....

1/750 of a sec @ 150 or 300mm (what your EXIF says) is in NO WAY impressive for SR.... ANY camera/competent shooter should be able to do that.... 2 to 4x the 'safe ' shutter = FL rule.

Now you want to talk about 400mm at 1/45th sec....

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

That is note worthy of SR (not entirely mine) capability in experienced hands free held.

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2007, 5:41 AM   #4

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
1/750 of a sec @ 150 or 300mm is in NO WAY impressive for SR.... ANY camera/competent shooter should be able to so that.... 2 to 4x the 'safe ' shutter = FL rule. (what your EXIF says)

Now you want to talk about 400mm at 1/45th sec....

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

That is note worthy of SR capability in trained hands free held.
It is a good job you don't like to blow your own trumpet!!

As a newbie to all this, Andre has stated that he was shaky when shooting, so the shake reduction helped. He was not trying to show off how low he could go.

Although I have used SLRs for nearly 30 years, when I first got my DL2 and Sigma 70-300mm I was a shakey as hell with it. Now I am familiar with it, no shakes on the K10D unless using a silly shutter speed. At the end of the day, it is all about taking good photos.

How about a good test of 4secs using a 600mm prime, handheld. That would be some thing impressive.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2007, 5:45 AM   #5

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
As a newbie to all this, Andre has stated that he was shaky when shooting, so the shake reduction helped. He was not trying to show off how low he could go.
Maybe, but no where on this thread, and actually claiming it WAS an good example..... and I wasn't trying to brag.... but 1/750 is no example of SR capability unless like a 1800mm lens. (And even its SR compensation stops at 800mm)

And again not trying to brag but on a short lens (like 28mm or under) can get maybe not razor sharp but good results from 0.3 to 0.7 sec. and braced against somthing (but still hand held) as much as 1.5 sec. on my K10D
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote