Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 27, 2007, 10:39 PM   #1

When the K10D does focus properly the images are amazing.

Full frame

100% crop

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2007, 10:50 PM   #2

Tom that is an impressively sharp photo at 100% (though your available lenses sure help your K10 show its stuff). I don't know much about photography and hardly anything about how our cameras work.This has not stopped me fromtrying to figure out what might cause a sporadic focus problem such as you have described. Is there any chance the SR system might be involved? Have you experimented with turning off the SR and seeing if the focus is still inconsistent? The only other thing I could think of is if your diopter adjustment is somehow moving. Like I said, I know very little but I thought I would throw those two SWAGs (scientific wild ass guesses) out there anyhow. Good luck,

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2007, 11:50 PM   #3

That's some super sharp shots Tom! Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2007, 11:59 PM   #4

That is very good detail.

I have had a few focussing problems with the k10D - of the sort you have mentioned, where I have carefully focussed manually, but the resulting image had a different focus point than that in the viewfinder.

Yet I have not been able to pin it down - in that every time I decide to do a focus test (putting the camera on a tripod and shooting a calibration target of some type), it performs flawlessly, with the focal distance spot on (compared to the viewfinder). So I cannot yet rule out 'user error' those times it failed, but it has still happened often enough to make me wonder what was going on.

Both of Tim's suggestions (ie involvement of the SR or the diopter slider) are worth considering - I have wondered about both myself, as well as other possible effects such as slight zoom or focus ring movement before shutter release... but have not reached any firm conclusions yet...

Still enjoying the camera lots - and getting plenty of very nice pics... just wish I could fully come to grips with a few remaining problems (which, for me, are 1. this issue of sometime inconsistent focus setting; and 2. much more than expected chromatic aberration with the generally well-reviewed DA 16-45mm. I also wish that the infra-red remote did not have to be kept pressed the whole time when used for a bulb setting shot - but that could, and therefore may, be fixed with a firmware update...)

Cheers,
DC
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2007, 12:05 AM   #5

NM
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2007, 4:12 AM   #6

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
When the K10D does focus properly the images are amazing.
What form of AF????

You can't possibly expect MATRIX AF to work in an extremely shallow DOF, it could pick any point you likely don't want.

Center point/SEL (at least on K10D) works pretty rock solid even if hold and reframe is necessary.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 6:01 AM   #7

I expect what works perfectly with the DS to work just as well with the K10D.

I am not using AF only, the K10D does not focus correctly with shallow DOF all the time no matter what focus method I use.

I got this suggestion from another forum:

http://www.jayandwanda.com/photograp...man_focus.html

Tom
Old Apr 28, 2007, 6:26 AM   #8

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
I expect what works perfectly with the DS to work just as well with the K10D.

I am not using AF only, the K10D does not focus correctly with shallow DOF all the time no matter what focus method I use.

I got this suggestion from another forum:

http://www.jayandwanda.com/photograp...man_focus.html

Tom
Interesting but do you necessarily expect a Chevelle to behave the same as a Corvette?

OK both 11 point AF.... but maybe the K10D a bit more finely tuned?

Maybe works better in multipoint averaging relatively deep DOF? (never had an issue there)

But when you get shallow.... just common sense says go center or SEL/single point AF if not manual. (Where again I have no real problems with the K10D)

In fact when you use an A or M lens, the camera defaults to center point AF confirmation of the MF.... as my A's are fast (shallow DOF) a good thing... though I still believe my eye more than the blink....

Very shallow DOF should be MF anyways.... not what AF excells at, except by circumstance/light luck or non DOF complex subject.... unlike the similar contrast squirel/tree if they had been in slightly separated instead of the same focal plane... also a pretty dominant subject (relative to frame) which helps too.

But again about similar size so if squirel a few inches depth away from tree the cameara AF would have to decide on one or the other similar contrast/size subjects.

Old Apr 28, 2007, 6:49 AM   #9

David C wrote:
Quote:
I have had a few focussing problems with the k10D - of the sort you have mentioned, where I have carefully focussed manually, but the resulting image had a different focus point than that in the viewfinder.
Well that certainly shouldn't be happening....

Just out of curiosity... does it happen with multiple lenses? If no, one might just be too loose and slipping slightly after focus (especially on a shallow DOF subject)

And yes diopter slightly out of adjustment could make something seem sharp (as possible) to you but not the camera. (again especially a shallow DOF subject)

Old Apr 28, 2007, 7:43 AM   #10

Your theory makes no sense!

There is something wrong with the camera or the firmware or both and not with my photography skills or my understanding of the camera.

Tom