Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 29, 2007, 1:00 PM   #1

I went for a little trip yesterday. 30 miles outside the city, half of the way by amazing road going through hills and moorland, unfortunatelly it was too narrow to stop and take photos. Weather was very good (too good in fact, not a single beutifull fluffy cloud and they make better landscapes IMO)

I walked around this massive manmade lake, it took me about 3 hours. I took 70 photos but only 22 came ok (I shoot a lot of doubles to make sure of correct focus).

all taken with DL2 and K28 f3.5. tripod, polarizer and ND grad also were used.

converted from RAW in Lightroom using mostly default settings (I have to figure out this program) no other PP.

any tips on improving them are welcomed.

greg

gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2007, 2:27 PM   #2

I really like your shots. Perhaps just a tad lighter with a bit more contrast and saturation--would make them "pop".
Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2007, 2:33 PM   #3

thats strange, on my monitor they seem a bit too light, I was thinking about makig them a bit darker. and I just calibrated my monitor with huey.

greg
Old Apr 29, 2007, 2:58 PM   #4
TC3

Very nice shots and looks a place i could mountain bike around. I agree with what is said about needing a bit more contrast and light in PP
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2007, 3:00 PM   #5

While my monitor isn't calibrated, it is pretty close to what I get when I print. On my screen they look a bit dark and kind of flat (saturation wise). Perhaps some other readers will comment so we can determine if my monitor is off...
Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2007, 5:16 PM   #6

Some nice landscapes there Greg, I like the third and fifth the best. Did you get any from a position closer to the fence in #3? I'll bet it would make a nice foreground element. They do not look too dark to me, about right actually. However, I have noticed that if I look at PSP's suggestions for "smart photo fix" it always makes the shot way lighter than I would want it. My prints and monitor seem to agree though so I guess I just prefer a darker pic than the experts at Corel.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2007, 1:09 AM   #7

To me, it is only the water that looks unnaturally dark. However the first couple could do with a bit more contrast as they are a bit flat.

Darren

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2007, 2:20 AM   #8

thanks for all comments. I'll try some adjustments and post some more later on. I've just noticed that no.5 is a little bit tilted to the left, don't you think?

TC3: in fact there's a bike rental shop at this lake with lots of bike tracks around it, and a lot of people go there with their own bikes.

Tim: I couldn't get there, this shot was taken from behind another fence. wooden poles with barbed wire.

Darren: I think it's that dark because of polarizer, but I like it this way.

greg
Old Apr 30, 2007, 5:54 AM   #9

greg,
i'm calibrated with a spyder and they do appear a little dark .

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2007, 9:24 AM   #10

roy: do you have an LCD monitor? if so how do you set up brightness and contrast before calibrating with spyder? there's nothing about that in my huey manual. but I tried calibrating with different brightness and contrast settings and it always comes out the same, so I don't think it sould make much difference. any thougts on that?

I also noticed that when I print photos they come out a bit darker than no my screen, but I thought it's because I'm rubbish at this color managment and using profiles for photoshop and printing. any ideas anyone?

greg