Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 29, 2007, 3:00 PM   #1

Has anybody used the Sigma EF 500 DG ST? Is it better then the pentax flashes, or are the pentax flashes better?

Any other suggestions?

Rudo
Rudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2007, 4:10 PM   #2

I have the Sigma 500 DG Super. It is a nice flash but as Pentax rolls out new models people have had to send theirs back to be rechipped so they will work. If I had to do it over, I would probably buy the Pentax flash but, of course, you are going to pay more for the same feature set.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2007, 8:10 PM   #3

Rudo wrote:
Quote:
Has anybody used the Sigma EF 500 DG ST? Is it better then the pentax flashes, or are the pentax flashes better?

Any other suggestions?

Rudo
I just ordered one from B&H as it is in stock. I think Crash ( and a couple of others) is a big fan of this flash and my AF360 is my manual flash - I broke it.¬*Another Pentax fault as it should have been crashproof.¬* Guess whom to blame! This is my first Sigma purchase. Let us see. One thing I do have advantage in buying Sigma is that¬*its service centre¬*(for rechipping) is 5 minutes drive away from me.

I will have it shipped out to Va and my relatives will bring it over to Tel Aviv in 2 weeks - a very round about way to get it

¬*I am not keen on using any flash at all.¬* I avoid it as much as I can.¬* Just forced to buy one (both AF360 and 280T are all manual flash). Anyone needs a TTL flash 280T?

Daniel, Toronto

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2007, 11:12 PM   #4

Rudo

Thats correct I have a Sigma EF500 DG ST and a Pentax AF540FGZ. I haven't had a chance to really play with the NEW Pentax Flash just yet. I have just had two weeks in Bali. (Got some nice piccies too :G)

Anyways, I can say this, the Sigma Flash is great, consistent exposures, more powerful than the Pentax flash. No Wireless and No High Speed Sync with the DG ST model though.

I had my Sigma flash rechipped (for free) when I bought the K10D and it now works perfectly on both the K10D and the DL.

Now that I am back I will do some testing of both flashes on both camerras; and with and without omnibounce diffusers.

Give me a week and I will hopefully post some results, personally, for the money, the Sigma is an AWESOME flash, the EF 500 DG Super is also.

Enjoy

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2007, 5:14 AM   #5

In my opinion the pentax flash is better, faster recycle than the sigma. If you have the cash, get the pentax, otherwise i guess settle for the sigma.

Even the AF360 comes out on top over the 500ST, apart from the fact the head cant rotate left or right.
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2007, 7:26 AM   #6

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
Anyways, I can say this, the Sigma Flash is great, consistent exposures, more powerful than the Pentax flash. No Wireless and No High Speed Sync with the DG ST model though.
Thanks for the answers!

What is the maximum sync speeds with EF 500 DG ST. I want to sync faster then the 1/180.....

Rudo
Old Apr 30, 2007, 7:49 AM   #7

haha..now you got me. I think you are maxed out at 1/180th sec on the EF500DG ST, bu the EF500DG Super will do High Speed Sync and wireless.

I am at work now but will check tonight and let you know tomorrow the exact max sync speed.

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2007, 10:30 AM   #8

Just to be clear, since this is P-TTL, the Sigma will fire at less than full intensity when necessary? Without making manual adjustments to the flash?

After a weekend of low-light shots (I also try to avoid the flash), and blurry shots by having long-shutter speeds without a tripod, i'm looking at getting a flash. The Pentax flashes are pricey, and the Sigma looks like a viable alternative.

Any other recommendations on P-TTL compatible flashes?
intence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2007, 2:26 PM   #9

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
I am at work now but will check tonight and let you know tomorrow the exact max sync speed.

Crash
That would be great!

Thanks!

And can you also tell me how fast the sync is with the pentax flashes! I know the camera (K100D) can deliver high-speed sync up to 1/4000, but can the flash also sync that fast?

If the max sync with the sigma flash is indeed 1/180 then it's my opinion that it's pretty worthless for fill-in flashes, or I have to use a smaller aperture, but that's not what I want.

Rudo
Old Apr 30, 2007, 5:58 PM   #10

I believe the DG Super does have the capability of High Speed Flash.

Feroz
fghouse2000 is offline   Reply With Quote