Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 30, 2007, 10:56 AM   #1

After a weekend of slow focusing with my DL, i'm wondering how much faster and accurate is the AF on the K100D, what about the K10D?

The K100D is looking particularly attrative with Anti-Shake, and the body available for around $400AR (hoping Pentax will continue the rebate). Of course I really want the K10D, but it's twice the price.

Aside from more MP and weather-sealing, what else does the K10D offer over the K100D?

Most importantly, how much better is the AF performance on either the K10 or K100 vs. the istDL?
intence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2007, 12:42 PM   #2

I shoot with a DL, and have no experience with the K100D, but I'm guessing by what I have read, that the K100 will have *slightly* better focusing speed - but because of basically the same motor/battery combo - it's not going to be too much better. The K10 with its beefier battery and bigger motor makes a big difference...

May have to wait for somebody with actual experience for a better answer though
ccallana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2007, 2:05 PM   #3

Not slightly. it is a significant improvement. Much more positive in low-light situations, and also significantly smoother.

Shake Reduction is a must-have feature.

JPEG out of the k100d are MUCH, MUCH nicer than the DL.

The slightly redesigned grip on the k100 makes it EASIER to hold. Still not as good as a bigger camnera, but much better than before.

I sold my DL for $300. Got a K100d for 450 before rebate. Well-worth it IMO

Gazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2007, 3:10 PM   #4

I have the DL2 (in my g/f's hands now) and the K10D.

At the weekend we were at the zoo and she went off to the loo, so I was hold the DL2 and the K10D. Ideal time to try them back to back.

The DL2 now feels very small compared to the K10D. The buttons, incl the shutter button need to be pressed very firmly to elicit any response.

The K10D on the other hand is big and comfortable in the hands (you hold onto it, rather than wrap your hands around it). The buttons are very light touch, esp the shutter button.

G/f came back and we swapped while I went. Came back and she had tried shooting both. Her verdict - The K10D is a much better camera, with faster responses, quicker autofocus and a much clearer screen... BUT she wouldn't swap as it is too big and too heavy for her. Bear in mind the K10D had a 28-105mm on it and the DL2 had the 50-200mm on it.

If she was going to upgrade she would go with the K100D.

Just our opinions but, as usual, hold the camera and try before you buy!

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2007, 7:34 PM   #5

intence wrote:
Quote:
Aside from more MP and weather-sealing, what else does the K10D offer over the K100D?
Larger buffer, much better sustained burst, more controls on the body, support for (upcoming) super sonic AF lenses. That being said, I only have the K100 and after some 13,000 shots in eight months, I am very happy with my camera.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2007, 10:30 PM   #6

NonEntity1 - not to change the subject, I just was amazed at your 13,000 photos in the same 8 months I've taken 4,000 with my K100. :-) I'll have to tell my husband. He thinks I'm crazy to have taken the 4,000....
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2007, 11:13 PM   #7

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
The K10D on the other hand is big and comfortable in the hands (you hold onto it, rather than wrap your hands around it). The buttons are very light touch, esp the shutter button.
YUP the first week I had it I was constanly taking shots when I only intented half shot, and still occassionally do if in a rush and forgeting how sensitive it is.

Even with out SR there is no excuse for shutter jab blur on the K10D, it is silky smooth once you are used to it, and almost no physical travel.

WHen I get back on my old C Rebel not and then its shutter seems real clunky.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2007, 11:13 PM   #8

Ultimately, perhaps the K10's ability to use HSM (whatever Pentax is going to call them) will mean the K10 is going to be much fasterto auto focus. I've never timed the K10 and K100 for differences in focus speed, and don't particularly notice any differences (most of my stuff is landscape and flowers, or else manual focus).

The K100 has better high ISO capabilities. It's smaller and lighter (both pluses to me). I don't think the K10's image quality is any better than the K100, though it is nice to have the extra mp when shooting birds with only a 300mm lens.

The K10 has more controls on the camera body so they are easier to change (rather than going into menus). You can also change things (if using P mode and you don't like the shutter/aperture combination, you can change one or the other value and the camera will change the other to keep the exposure right). I've used Sv mode quite a bit (have ISO set for "auto" with 100-800 being the range. If I want to use 1600 I can use Sv mode without changing my auto settings). There's more fine-tuning you can do with the K10 (like white balance). But that means there's more to think about and more that can go wrong.

For many people the K10 will be over-kill and unnecessarily complicated. If you want the fastest AF speed possible you will need to buy the K10 and one of the new DA* lenses.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2007, 11:18 PM   #9

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
NonEntity1 - not to change the subject, I just was amazed at your 13,000 photos in the same 8 months I've taken 4,000 with my K100. :-) I'll have to tell my husband. He thinks I'm crazy to have taken the 4,000....
Since around March 1 getting my second K10D (first stolen), I am nearly over 7,000 but of course less than 4000 even saved, likely 1000 deleted as shot (I do a lot of low light and harsh light things like sunset which changes radically often over its last 15 minutes), and only maybe 200 really worth anything beyond archival/historical interest.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 11:04 AM   #10

Thanks for all the replies, I suppose a better question would be, how much faster/more accurate is the AF on the K100D vs. my DL? If trying to photograph a moving object, is the K100D going to be much faster at focusing? As anyone compared it to an entry level Canon/Nikon (D40 or Rebel XTi)?

intence is offline   Reply With Quote