Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 1, 2007, 2:20 PM   #11

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Realise also that I don't do formal lens tests -- I'd much rather just shoot the lens and draw my conclusions from use in the field. It's very subjective, and not very scientific at all, but it works for me. . .

Scott
Thanks a LOT for your very informative and reassuring answer, Scott. The only thing I can regret now is why I didn't buy the lens - to sell it on ebay with a nice profit... And your last remark is valid for me too. If there isa difference, but you can't see it with your bare eye, why bother?

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 2:22 PM   #12

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
It looks to be a standard PK mount. Says SMC Pentax 1:4 300mm on the front.

Looks like a sliding lens hood as well.

Currently at £100 plus postage

Darren

Edit: Just heard back from the seller - not a star lens - serial number 6544331

Just really need to know if it is worthe bidding on and what sort of value I should go to. Also is this a lens I would be happy to own?
Hi Darren,

IMO, it's starting to get a little pricey at 100 GBP. From what I've seen, it's a very good lens, but for my money, and the way I use my teles, I'd rather have at least the exposure automation of an A type lens. In my case, shooting birds, there's enough to do acquiring the subject, focusing, and framing a usually uncooperative little guy who hasn't considered the horrible lighting in the place where he's chosen to land. For that price, you might be well served with one of the newerTamron or Sigma 70-300 AF zooms as far as useability is concerned. Keep in mind that I'm used to pricing in the US.

Optically, the K 300 is probably considerably better,it'sa stop fasterwhich is a major consideration, and the build quality is going to be much more robust --but you might get frustrated with the handling. This should be considered, IMO -- but only you can decide where to put your priorities according to how you plan to use the lens. A tough call, I'd say --

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 2:31 PM   #13

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
The only thing I can regret now is why I didn't buy the lens - to sell it on ebay with a nice profit...
Hi Kjell,

Unfortunately for my wallet, this is not usually a consideration for me -- though I guess I should really start thinking in those terms to help feed my obviously uncurable LBA. . .:-)

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 3:04 PM   #14

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
It looks to be a standard PK mount. Says SMC Pentax 1:4 300mm on the front.

Looks like a sliding lens hood as well.

Currently at £100 plus postage

Darren

Edit: Just heard back from the seller - not a star lens - serial number 6544331

Just really need to know if it is worthe bidding on and what sort of value I should go to. Also is this a lens I would be happy to own?
Hi Darren,

IMO, it's starting to get a little pricey at 100 GBP. From what I've seen, it's a very good lens, but for my money, and the way I use my teles, I'd rather have at least the exposure automation of an A type lens. In my case, shooting birds, there's enough to do acquiring the subject, focusing, and framing a usually uncooperative little guy who hasn't considered the horrible lighting in the place where he's chosen to land. For that price, you might be well served with one of the newerTamron or Sigma 70-300 AF zooms as far as useability is concerned. Keep in mind that I'm used to pricing in the US.

Optically, the K 300 is probably considerably better,it'sa stop fasterwhich is a major consideration, and the build quality is going to be much more robust --but you might get frustrated with the handling. This should be considered, IMO -- but only you can decide where to put your priorities according to how you plan to use the lens. A tough call, I'd say --

Scott

Thanks Scott.

That was my concern as well. I do have the Sigma 70-300AF, but I was looking at it as a decent prime. I think that focusing etc is enough without messing about with the green button.

Guess I will pass on this one and save for the A or autofocus ones.

Thanks guys

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote