Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 3, 2007, 1:07 AM   #11

Because right now I am not day to day using the 70-300mm in favor of the 100-400 leaving a significan't gap. Not just 15mm (23mm vs 45mm crop) gap) like the kit lens would be to a 70, let alone a 100mm min.

And again... the reviews I have seen of the Tam 28-200mm look good (vs either the Tam or Sig 28-300mm's that are huge compromises, and having had the Sig on my Rebel)

And I will post once I get the Tam 28-200mm (just won it tonight)

Of about 24 users reviews I checked before bidding, only two were bad and they are probably just anal I should have spent the $400 more for Cam brand lens type.) And 3-4 points separated from ALL the rest (out of a scale of five... for a 4-4.5 average)

Again the OVERALL poor reviews for both 28-300mm's are very mediore to bad... but the 28-200mm Tam seem like might be OK for what it is... and for what I am getting it from Ebay for... can likely sell it for as much again if need be. (Again were as seem you just can't get rid of the either 28-300mm's except to suckers)
And 200mm is about where those lenses really started to fall apart imgage quality wise.

But again if you have the Kit lens (I don't this time round) yeah go for the 70-300m and a killer pair with little gap.

That gap to 100mm is a little big and again reviews of the Tam 28-200mm is particularly good up to 135mm... that's all I need unless just inconvenient to switch and I really need that last 70mm quickly.

Honestly to my surprise for another 100mm the Phoenix 100-400mm does pretty much as well as the Sigma 70-300mm.... I'm keeping that mostly for the 1:2 macro capability the Phoenix lacks. (and currently my only macro lens)

Clear now?

PS Ever heard of SELECTIVE quoting a post?

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2007, 1:46 AM   #12

Illuminati wrote:
Quote:
It's significantly larger than my old Tamron 28-200, and unfortunately the Sigma lens' front element rotates (come on Sigma! You could have done better).
In length maybe but not girth.

As to IF how much more might you have wanted to spend or maybe bulk difference? If there were not physical and economics involvled ALL lenses would be IF, and that is really only a minor inconvenience for filter ring mounted graduaded and PL filters... and either just set it after focusing... not a huge or time consuming deal.
Old May 3, 2007, 2:46 AM   #13

Thank you all for your time comments and feeback, it really is apprecaited. And a big thanks to Illuminati for those surfing shots, those are cracking shots,reviews can say a lot but example pics just say much much more.

Think i will go for the Sigma 70-300 APO version, i would need the extra range over a 200mmwhen out shooting wildlife, nothing worse than taking a picture of a bird or animal then having to enlarge it several times just so it isnt a small blob.

Am really looking forwards to getting my K10d and lenses and wil ceratinley be posting some sample pics in here.

Thank you again for your assistance with my post

Goth:|

gothiquity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2007, 4:33 AM   #14

I bought the Pentax K100D plus the Sigma 70-300mm 'APO' lens for the extra quality and also the 18-125mm

You can see my photos at -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39847[email protected]/

mostly taken with my Sigma 70-300mm 'APO'

I Love My K100D,
Rodney
www.wolf9.org
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2007, 6:29 AM   #15

Thanks for the info and the link rodney9

some excellent shots of birds and flowers,did you use the macro feature of the 70-300 ?

Hope i can take some equally good shots when i get mine

cheers

Goth
Old May 3, 2007, 10:09 PM   #16

gothiquity wrote:
Quote:
did you use the macro feature of the 70-300 ?
Yes, the flowers, butterflys and bees on my Flickr ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/ ) were taken with the Pentax K100D Sigma 70-300mm DG APO Macro.

this is one I took yesterday -
Attached Images

Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2007, 3:53 AM   #17

Wow

that is impressive, i really wasnt expecting the macro feature on a zoom lense to be that good,

Excellent shot rodney

regards

Goth
Old May 4, 2007, 4:39 AM   #18

Like I said before for ZOOM LOVE my Phoenix surprisingly good 100-400... but there is just PLAIN NO BEATING bang for the buck either Tam or Sig 70-300 Macro's.

In the case of Tam though Be SURE 70-300mm NOT the much less capable and only 1:4(vs 1:2) macro 75-300mm

Hard to beat the combo of kit lens ands Sig or Tam 70-300mm as a really good basic combo.

But the 28-200mm Tam seems pretty good filling in tha gap if you don't need its full reach.... but next lens is 100mm rather than 70mm.

And still have my Sig 70-300mm, but now mostly as my only MACRO lens. (and not needed to be on top of, inches of subject 1:1's need to be.... fine when it algea... not often when easily spooked insect/animal.
Old May 4, 2007, 11:15 AM   #19

I have kit lens and sigma 70-300 apo too ( and also the 50mm fa 1.4, my favourite lens ).

But my sigma is not the black one with red stripe, but black with yellow text. I think it's the old version not specifical for digital. I like it, but anyone knows if it's the same quality as the new one? ( I got it on ebay very cheap ).

If the new one is much better, i may consider selling mine and get a new one.

Lando
Lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2007, 12:46 PM   #20

The new Sigma 70-300 APO features APO lenses.

From Sigma's website:

Apochromatic lenses are telephoto and telezoom type lenses which use special optical designs and optical materials (SLD or ELD glass) to improve their performance. The result is images which have greater contrast, sharpness and color definition than a comparable non-APO type lens . All Sigma apochromatic lenses are identified by the APO designation in their descriptions.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote