Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 2, 2007, 11:12 PM   #1

Recently I've been trying to evaluate the focus on my K10 but haven't found any more problems than I would have with the K100 or the DS - it is either right on or close to it, about the same as I was doing with the other Pentax cameras.

Today I decided to try inside one of my favorite buildings. These pictures were taken inside a library's reading room, mostly ofa handpaintedceiling over a floor above the stacks. Lighting is mixed - large windows line 3 sides (big enough to be floor length) and there are chandeliers and small reading lights. There's lots of dark wood - the room is beautiful, a building originally built in 1927 and restored in 1996.

Here's the ceiling taken with the M 50mm 1.7. I wanted as much shutter speed as possible, so I used "P" mode - the camera won't stop down the lens, which allows it to constantly meter.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2007, 11:13 PM   #2

Another point, closer up also taken with the M 50mm 1.7:
Attached Images

Old May 2, 2007, 11:14 PM   #3

Then I changed to the A*300, also a manual focus lens. The camera kept using f4. Center portion:
Attached Images

Old May 2, 2007, 11:15 PM   #4

Same lens, a detail in a different part of the reading room.
Attached Images

Old May 2, 2007, 11:19 PM   #5

Finally, I put the Phoenix macro 100mm 3.5 on as I was walking down the stair case. These are the supports for the banister. I think I was still manual focusing (I usually do with this lens) but may have used AF since I have the FA version of the lens.

I'm still happy with the K10.
Attached Images

Old May 2, 2007, 11:19 PM   #6

OK actually for a variety of situation really nice capture....

You seem to have completely left out you conclusions from the experiment you want opinion on though????:?
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2007, 1:03 AM   #7

Really beautiful shots Mtngal.

Look like you had fun with an old building and managed to get all the details.

Even wide open you still had nice DoF (or rather spot-on focussing!).

Hayward - What experiment??

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2007, 1:06 AM   #8

Those are great captures! I am really liking the last one, the depth of field works really well for that shot. And your A*300 shots... those two could send me back into LBA mode!

Good to see you still are happy with your K10D. I tested mine after seeing some of Tom's recent shots on here. Everything looks pretty good for me so I am a happy K10D owner too!
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2007, 2:22 AM   #9

Hi Harriet,

I think that your examples should set your mind at ease. I've experienced the same kind of thing as Tom, but it seems only with longer lenses with very thin DOF at longer distances. I can see in the viewfinder that the subject is in focus -- I even have refocused and shot repeatedly, thinking that at least one just has to be right on. It even looks good on the LCD, but when I open the pic on the computer, it's significantly off, not just a little. I've even tried (believe it or not!:-)) shooting with a tripod with the same results. . . And yes, it's a good tripod setup -- a Uni-Loc System 1700 with a Manfrotto 468MGRC2 set up for max stability.

Then I go and slap the FA*300 on the K10, take 1500 shots of the polar bear baby at the zoo, and all but a very few are spot on, and I even knew that I'd blown the bad ones because I was caught offguard shooting a burst and the little guy was moving significantly away from, or towards me. The K10, unlike the DS doesn't try to refocus during a burst, at least in AFS. I've also had occasion to shoot a few big parties and events where the K10 performed beautifully. It's just for birding that I don't feel I can depend on my K10 whereas my DS still shines. Believe me that I've tried just about everything that I can think of to determine what the problem is so I can work around it.

It's maddening -- I've got a long e-mail into Pentax service and am waiting for a response. My K10 also has some relatively minor metering and Auto WB issues along with what I think is an SR problem with long lenses -- I won't scare anyone with the details. I really hesitate to bring up these kind of things fearing that others might start seeing them even if they don't exist in their cameras. I have the DS that's continuing to work well, so I don't mind sending the K10 in even though I love the way it handles.

I seriously think that it's a sample variation thing -- too many people who I know are fussier than I aren't noticing the same problems for it to be a model wide defect. If your camera were having the same problem, you would have definitely noticed it by now. I do trust Tom's evaluation (and my own, of course) and hope that Pentax will be able to do something about it.

I suggest that you just go back to enjoying your K10 that's obviously working well.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2007, 8:05 AM   #10

Thanks for the complements, everyone.

I know that anything will have variances and that some people will notice them more than others. I think I'm the only one around who is having something going on with their DA 50-200 lens! I've also wondered if the focus issues had to do with extra-long focal length, rather than just with DOF because I didn't have trouble with the 1.7 shooting wide open or the 100mm at 3.5. The other thing could be more a reflection of my own personal manual focusing skills - the camera is better than my skills are. While I can usually "see" the focus, I usually cheat a bit because even with the DS I've been wrong.

It was fun to get the 50mm 1.7 out and use it again. It's been sitting in the bottom of my camera bag for a long time since my K10 does have over-exposure metering problems with it at smaller apertures, while the DS never did (another topic entirely). Sounds like time to get the K100 out againand see if it suffers from the same issues with manual lenses. The K10's shot counter is getting close to the K100's counter - tells you which camera I've been using the most since December!