Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 3, 2007, 9:28 PM   #11

Not quite in focus. But look closely and you can see individual fibers poking out.
Attached Images

Gazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2007, 9:31 PM   #12

beer.
Attached Images

Old May 3, 2007, 9:32 PM   #13

Btw these are all as-shot, resampled w/ bicubix sharper
Old May 3, 2007, 11:00 PM   #14

All I can say is that's SOME lens. I love the first Christmas tree light - what's neat about a lens like that is you can take something mundane and make something beautiful and interesting out of it. Not sure my other half will appreciate you posting them, I think a Limited prime just went higher on my "wish" list.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2007, 10:07 PM   #15

Slight update.

To my considerable disappointment, I have not had the opportunity to really take pictures recently.

One observation.... f/2.8 is really horrific in terms of low-light capability. This lens is basically useless in any situation other than daylight.

Lens cap is REALLY annoying. REALLY REALLY REALLY annoying.

One thing that one needs to keep in mind too, that was never an issue on any of my older lenses.... the lens is all-aluminum.... as a result, you have to be very careful when attaching the hood/cap/filters. Crossthreading, especially if you're in a rush is a real risk and you can mangle the threads with minimal effort. The ol clunkers were impervious to this.

Focusing is really quick and noticeably smoother than the FA50, but this is not an issue worth mentioning.

I have to reserve final judgement until I take more pictures with it..... but initial impressions have left me underwhelmed from a usability perspective.

We shall see.

Edit: i scuk ayt teh typoimg

Old May 17, 2007, 3:40 AM   #16

Gazander wrote:
Quote:
Slight update.

One observation.... f/2.8 is really horrific in terms of low-light capability. This lens is basically useless in any situation other than daylight.
This somehow escaped you going into the purchase? 1/2 stop faster than the kit lens.

Then again with SR and that short a lens actually it shoulf be fairly usefull in low light of still subjects.

Actually picking up some old 50mm A's.... was surprised how much the 1/2 stop of F/2 to f/1.7 made.... and now a f/1.4 on the way.

But then again while a fast lens allows higher shutter, yet 1.7 was already getting to be hair thin DOF.... f/1.4 will porbably be sort of useless but for square shot equal focal plane subjects at any close/dual portrait range.

PS Good taste in beer
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 9:53 AM   #17

I may as well add a picture here. As Gazander said, it is a little slow at 2.8, but seems to produce decent photos (to my untrained eye) wide open. The focusing is very fast, and quieter than the kits lens (not sure if it because of the size, or the metal construction dampens the noise. Build quality is outstanding. The lens cap is annoying, I'll have to try the fuji cap trick. I found that the hood works so well that I don't worry about the cap when I am carrying the camera around with the lens attached.

I picked up this lens at a very good price, along with an A 50mm 1.4. I'm trying to decide wether to keep this combo, or sell both for an FA 50 1.4. The 'cool factor' of the DA40, along with the size,means I'll likely keep it for a long time to come.

f2.8 1/4000 ISO 200
Attached Images

silverstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 9:54 AM   #18

f11 1/20 ISO 200

Attached Images

silverstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2007, 4:58 PM   #19

Well, folks. Afraid I have some bad news....

DA40 must go. In the last month, I haven't even used it ONCE. I really like the image quality, there are some stunningly nice shots with that beautiful 9-blade Limited bokeh, but the combination of f/2.8 and 40mm is just not for me.

I take most of my pictures at dusk or very early dawn and the fast 50 is just much, much mroe useful for me. And in the day, I tend to use the 50-200 exclusively, and more than anything deep into the 100 range.

Anyway, here is the link to the ebay auction. I know a couple of posters were interested.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...;rd=1&rd=1

I hate to see it go but I need the money and I'm not using it. I'm trying to drop the packrat/collector mentality.