Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 4, 2007, 9:45 AM   #11

I adjusted the Histogram, then Shadows/Highlights, tweaked the horizon, lowered it & adjusted the sky to dramatise the overall efefct.

OK, it's perhaps not quite like the original, but I like to use the material to produce a pleasing effect.
Attached Images

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2007, 1:24 AM   #12

Meaning no offense, but bilybianca 's looks MUCH more natural.... and actually might have been.... there is such a thing as pushing things too far and becoming clearly a pasted together created thing.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2007, 2:12 AM   #13

Contriver wrote:
Quote:
Hey guys, check out the attached photo. I like the way that everything above the horizon looks, but as you can see, below the horizon is very very dark. If I try to compensate for this, I loose the 'richness' of the colors above the horizon. Any suggestions?
Other than maybe a neutral grey graduated filter....

If the ground is something you wanted to capture and you have a tripod along....

Just take two exposures.... one for the sky and one for the ground.... then glue them togeter.... would look much better than either of the post solutions here.

Now maybe you did want this cluttered industuial ground.... but if not then also the option shoot more sky and just keep the ground as a bottom frame edge reference.

PS Living in Key West.... Sunset is a great way to end the day and celebrated every day (http://www.sunsetcelebration.org/... though I am often away from the tourist throng elsewhere), and shooting Sunset is something I do EVERY DAY weather allowing (about 300 days of the year), so I have encountered many situations if you ever want to PM discuse them.

And actually having pulled up that liknk for the first time.... couldn't believe how MUNDANE the pictures were.....

This is FAR from the best of mine, just on the current card from the past week or so quickly accessable.

And no this is not just clicked..... it is several steps after amoungst other things steps of EV compensation (maybe as much as -3) to get things right, and actually still much more daylight than it looks, (Sun is actual behing the center cloud I think)

But the automation just didn't want to AUTO make (every shot MUST come out middle gray balance ) even K10D P-MTF mode I mainly use... never AUTO wants to see.

And again with the K10D I could do that all in like under 10 sec without ever touching a menu, an not yet deleting the bad shot... just checking the LCD and saying no 1 or 2 stops lower..... and just what "I" had mapped the TWO funtion wheels to be... Amazing how you can personally customize the K10D.... why didn't some one think of this sooner....

My choice which is MTF P mode.... back wheel Apreture priority.... front wheel (firmware update allowed) EV, vs the default fron AV rear TV kinda useless.... and that firmware update came out so fast after release it HAD to be BETA TESTER feed back that made great sense..... and the AV or TV P wheel function plus EV again is a massively powerfull option that the simple one wheel AV and one TV never even approached.

A VERY powerfull and quick combo I highly recomend trying for any K10D owners who may not understand what the much funcion ehancement not just fix the 1.10 firmware update enabled (or now 1.11.... yup under 6 mo and a second.... many cameras like my old 300D Rebel never even had ONE.... unless you count the HACKED one that made it to Canon's chagrin much a 10D on the software level.... mirror lock up etc vs hardware lackings..) .

And actualy K10D can fill that (you can do that too... either wheel can be either thing) as with EV on the back wheel shited it to often by default and forgot.... and ended up with unexpectedly dark shots.... works much better on the front... were it is intentional and remembered.

... BTW same can be done with shutter priority plus EV but I find less need for that rarely shooting in high daylight.

Pentax is one of the oldest SLR cameras in the country (kind of tie with Canon.... but MUCH older than NIKON).... they made some bad mistakes along the way especially transitioning to the Digital realm..... now Canon and Nikon are arogantly being obstanant to their customers... Pentax is WOW paying attention and to their ability doing anything (especially if just software, like the firmware upfates) asked of them....

And the price hiking of used to be cheap old Pentax lens.... now approaching new cost only proves they are absolutely on the right track biz model wise....after the pretty mundane *isT sales, I think K100D shocked them.... I think the immediate and actually delivered on time 10D promise positively floored them... sure hope they keep t up the great product and suport.

And like Canon or Nikon ever do that.... yeah just where is the Canon 40D or even aging 30D like Mark ANYTHING.

And has anyone noticed C & N haven't relased anything since the K introduction but the already for release XTi and the rather crippled D40..... nothing Pentax I think reallt had the big boys scratching their collective head..... and while still smal market share.... a now againsuddenly SERIOUS contender.

Personally the K10D IS THE only CAMERA I HAVE EVER OWNED THAT DAY TO DAY AFTER OWNING STILL SURPRISES ME day in and day out.... think something can't be done.... but just a little thought of how to approach the situation and the 10D's amazing fleaxbility.... yeah you actually CAN do that.
Attached Images

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2007, 10:22 AM   #14

Personally, I likeCatbells' interpretation - as you said, it may not look like the original but has taken the source material to produce a more vibrant shot.
IntrepidWalker is offline   Reply With Quote