Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 3, 2007, 10:55 PM   #1

I feel that every time I use auto in daylight, the shots are slightlyover-exposed. I use manual mode when its doable, however auto is nicein some situations. For example, when its sunny, yet partyly cloudy (thusthe sunlightintesity is constantly changing due to the moving clouds)and your subject is moving around alot. In this type of scenario, its difficult to constantly compensate manually.
Contriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2007, 11:03 PM   #2

I don't know your level of experience, you sure you don't have exposure compensation on, or ISO too high?
Gazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2007, 11:25 PM   #3

EV Compensation is 0.0 and while I'm using auto mode, I typically keep the ISO on auto as well.

Oh well, its not a huge issue, I just thought I'd throw that out there and see if anyone else has noticed. IMO its still an amazing cameraeven without regard to its low price.
Old May 3, 2007, 11:33 PM   #4

I never use the K100's auto (green) mode - I always use the "P" mode and have no problems with exposure (unless I'm using spot metering and have the spot on the darkest part of the scene...).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2007, 11:44 PM   #5

Hmmm, I'll have to try both P and Auto and see if I notice a difference. Thanks mtngal!
Old May 4, 2007, 1:34 AM   #6

Even on the default P setting likely you will see a difference.... plus in P mode you have a lot more flexabily at your fingertips.... a HUGE amount on the 10D not sure how much on the 100D.

I have never use AUTO mode on any camera that had a P mode.... except occasionally by accident.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2007, 2:07 AM   #7

Hi Contriver,

As Harriet suggested, P mode is usually preferable to Auto Pic mode because you have more control. In Auto Pic mode, the camera tries to choose between the different Pic modes according to how the camera interprets the scene (is it really that smart?), and you have no overrides -- it's just automatic. In P mode, the camera chooses the shutter speed and aperture according to the program line, but allows Ev compensation, so if you're getting consistent overexposure, you can force the camera to expose less with a minus Ev compensation value. You have to make some decisions, but it's pretty much a matter of taking a test shot, adjust the Ev compensation, then go merrily on your way.

If the overexposure isn't to the point where highlights are blown out, you might actually be getting good exposures, but you might have to adjust the brightness in Post Processing to match your taste. Many photographers recommend "exposing to the right" (setting exposure with the bulk of the histogram to right of center -- biasing your exposure towards overexposure) as it captures more detail in the shadows and gives you images with less noise. I sometimes set up for this manually, but if your camera does it automatically, it's not necessarily a bad thing (as long as it's not blowing the highlights).

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2007, 2:48 AM   #8

My K100D seems to ever expose slightly with the DA 16-45/4 when shooting in 'P'. It's not gross, and can usually be saved in post when shooting RAW. This lens is fairly new to me but I've found Ev -0.7 seems to sweeten the images nicely.

I use center weighted metering and pay attention for scenes in which the center of the frame is a lot darker than the rest of the frame. When this happens, you need to be careful not to over expose. The DA 16-45/4 seems to suffer from the over exposure issue where the DA 50-200 does not, on the same scene with the wider lens set to 45mm and the longer lens set to 50mm.

Maybe it's just my copies of these lenses. One thing, the DA 16-45/4 does seem faster than f4.0 when compared to my DA 50-200 and DA 40L.

What body and lens are you seeing the exposure issues with?

Tom Brown is offline   Reply With Quote