Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 5, 2007, 5:45 PM   #1

I had to do it.

I started looking at the Pentax 80-200mm f/2.8 (used)and later the same model NEW, but found the price to be too much.

Anyways for less than theprice a NEW Pentax FA* 80-200/f/2.8 I was able to buy a NEW Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro

and a used Sigma Ex APO 300 /2.8 on eBay

Now I just have to wait til they arrive. :-D.........waiting ....waiting ..:homey:

Crash

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2007, 7:09 PM   #2

Hi Crash,

Congrats -- I assume that this one will work out better than the questionable FA*. I'm surprised that you found one -- AFAIK they haven't been released -- but that's in the US, so it apparently doesn't apply. The EX 300/2.8 looks awesome. I think you'll find that the speed is worth the weight . . I did, and now carry my SP300/2.8 more than I ever anticipated.

Strictly by coincidence, I just pulled the trigger on a 80-200/2.8 also -- but mine is an ancient cousin, and not nearly as exciting -- a Tamron SP 80-200/2.8 LD IF Adaptall II MF. It's supposed to be a very nice lens, and I'm sure quite a bit less of an investment for me. I plan to use it mainly with the F 1.7x AFA for a 136-340 /4.8 AF zoom. It's a one-touch zoom, and I'm hoping that it'll work well enough to be used for BIF, which I suck at.

Looking forward to seeing some pics with your new toys.

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2007, 8:48 PM   #3

Wow - that's a couple of serious-looking lenses. Can't wait to see some samples taken with them. I've got some big-time LBA but I've put a deposit down on one of the the DA* lenses, which shoots my budget for this year. Doesn't stop me from drooling over other people's new purchases.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2007, 11:07 PM   #4

The 70-200mm EX GD Macro is the CURRENT Sigma model. They have no mention at this stage for an improved in lens focus motor version YET.

I expect the weight will be a bit of a issue, but can't be any heavier than my Tamron SP 200-55mm f/5.6. The 300mm is 2.4kg, I have some ideas on where I can and will use this lens over here.

I am busting to get my hands on both of these lenses and do someshooting to see what I can achieve. I will try and get both lenses in country here with me, that way Ican be a bit further away from the rocks that are flying.hehehehe.

It was a pity about the Pentax lens, I thought I had found a hidden bargain only to find I had found a potential pitfall of fraud.

I was watchign one on eBay but as expected it went up very high in price.

Crash
Old May 5, 2007, 11:10 PM   #5

Mtngal

I am in a very lucky position right now and thought what the hell, buy now and enjoy now.

I hope I can achieve some pictures with these lenses that justify the money I just spent.

Crash
Old May 6, 2007, 4:32 AM   #6

Wow - - Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2007, 6:58 AM   #7

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
I hope I can achieve some pictures with these lenses that justify the money I just spent.

Crash
if you can't, send them to me and i'll work the kinks out of them for you.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2007, 10:09 AM   #8

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
The 70-200mm EX GD Macro is the CURRENT Sigma model.
Hi Crash,

That's what I meant -- AFAIK, the macro version has not yet been released for Pentax in the US.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2007, 10:16 AM   #9

I had the sigma and it is a great lens, you will enjoy it! How about some examples with the 300 f/2.8?

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2007, 5:41 PM   #10

Roy, You don't needmy lenses to take good shots.

I don't expect to have the 300mm f/2.8 until late next month. The seller has to ship to my home address and then it will be hand delivered to me in Bali. I am going back next month.

Tom, Not surewhat I would use it for in Bali though, but I am sure I will find some surfers or something.

Scott, now that you mentioned it, I didn't specify to my guy whether or not it was the Macro version, I just asked him for the 70-200mm f/2.8 DG, I only assumed it was the Macro based on the website. I recall at one stage both versions were advertised, now it is just the Macro version.

Macro is not my forte, though I do enjoy Roy' s images and other that post too. If it does turn out to be a Macro version then I will try my hand at a few exotic bugs we have here in Timor.

Crash