Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 6, 2007, 6:07 PM   #1
TDN

Well here it is!

[align=center]

[/align][align=left]That would certainly rock the market wouldnt it?

Iknow...I have too much free time :lol:

Seriously though, there's been some talk about one of the new Pentax DSLRs, that it could be named K1000D. Maybe something to compete against the range of smaller DSLRs we're seeing lately. (Olympus E-410, Nikon D40, ...)

I personally wouldnt dislike a camera like that. The Olympus E-410 for example looks like a great little camera. It kinda reminds me of the old "flat" film cameras.
I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be a bad move by Pentax to bring out a camera like that. digital SLRs are becoming VERY popular with the average user, and a lot of people like a small camera, which still has enough features. Pentax could benefit by taking a little bite out of that market-share.

The only thing I'd be missing is the top LCD creen.

What would you guys think of a small consumer DSLR by Pentax?

Tom

P.S.: let's keep this on-topic and with pentax. I don't want to start a topic that ends up in a brand war like: "well this brand has his feature" en "that brand has a better ...".
The question is: would you like a small Pentax DSLR, and what would you like to see it do?
[/align]edit: damn, spelled the title wrong, with 2 t's. could a mod edit that if he reads this?
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2007, 9:12 PM   #2

I am not unhappy with the size of my K100. A Pentax camera the same size, with all of the K10 features including the possiblity of a vertical grip, would be very attractive to me. I don't know that I would want anything smaller, though.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2007, 10:08 PM   #3

TDN wrote:
Quote:
Well here it is!

Iknow...I have too much free time :lol:

Seriously though, there's been some talk about one of the new Pentax DSLRs, that it could be named K1000D. Maybe something to compete against the range of smaller DSLRs we're seeing lately. (Olympus E-410, Nikon D40, ...)

I personally wouldnt dislike a camera like that. The Olympus E-410 for example looks like a great little camera. It kinda reminds me of the old "flat" film cameras.
I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be a bad move by Pentax to bring out a camera like that. digital SLRs are becoming VERY popular with the average user, and a lot of people like a small camera, which still has enough features. Pentax could benefit by taking a little bite out of that market-share.

The only thing I'd be missing is the top LCD creen.

What would you guys think of a small consumer DSLR by Pentax?

Tom
Hey Tom ,

Thanks for bringing up the issue.
I do not have the kit lens. Any possibility that you let us know the Fov. Or better still, put in a roll of film and post some pict. My hunch is that it will be wide . Really wide. I would expect a bit of distortion away from centre. But the question is how much of it is there.
Assuming that you still have some free time. It should be eye-opening

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2007, 11:55 PM   #4

The kit lens won't work properly on older Pentax cameras including the MZ-S because it doesn't have an aperture ring and the camera can't set it.

I would like to see the PZ-1P changed into digital, since it had the biggest, fastest motor Pentax ever put in a SLR and was lightning fast at focusing. Much faster than even the K10D, so even lenses without a built in motor would focus as fast as Canon or Nikon.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007, 12:47 AM   #5

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
I would like to see the PZ-1P changed into digital, since it had the biggest, fastest motor Pentax ever put in a SLR and was lightning fast at focusing. Much faster than even the K10D, so even lenses without a built in motor would focus as fast as Canon or Nikon.

Tom
I'll second that -- It's frustrating for both beginners and experienced users to miss shots when waiting for the camera to focus. You might be able to get used to it, but it's always in the back of your head that they did it before, so why not now.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007, 2:25 AM   #6
TDN

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
Hey Tom ,

Thanks for bringing up the issue.
I do not have the kit lens. Any possibility that you let us know the Fov. Or better still, put in a roll of film and post some pict. My hunch is that it will be wide . Really wide. I would expect a bit of distortion away from centre. But the question is how much of it is there.
Assuming that you still have some free time. It should be eye-opening

Daniel
Hi Daniel, I don't have a K1000, so I didn't really mount the kitlens on there. Just a bit of photoshop fun

I agree with you Tim, just a "smaller K100D" wouldnt be attractive to me either, but I'm talking about really altering the entire ergonomics design.
Take a look at the E-410. I'd go even further and make that body entirely flat. That way it would handle like an old film SLR.
I like street photography and travel photography, and I could certainly imagine a camera like that coming in handy. Just click a Pentax 50mm on there and you've got a pretty neat little camera
On the road it would be a very portable camera, and people would be less intimidated too. Like I said, all I'd really miss would be the top LCD.
Price it a step under the K100D and I really think there'd be a market for it.
Of course things like handheld birding with really long lenses and macro shots would become more difficult due to the lack of a grip, but it wouldn't be impossible. Besides, if such a model ever came out I'd buy it as a 2nd (travel-)camera, and keep a bigger model too.

So I'd either go like that, OR like you said, increase the size of the K100D (especially in height)
Allthough I love my DL, I'm starting to find it a little on the small side. Especially since I can only wrap 3 fingers around the grip. I'd love to try the K10D, but it's out of my budget now, and besides, I can't justify buying a new camera every year.

Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007, 3:20 AM   #7

Here's what I'd like to see in a new, smaller Pentax DSLR:

More megpaixels (of course)
Use of a penta-prism
SDM compatibility
Same build quality as the K100
A larger buffer
AA/CRV3 battery (I just don't like proprietary batteries)

In turn, here's what I'd be willing to sacrifice with a smaller design:
Loss of built-in flash (I rarely use it)
Smaller rear LCD
Lack of weather-sealing
No shake reduction
No battery grip

My feature list doesn't make much sense, but the first part (and the loss of built-in flash) is at least features I'd like to see in a next-generation Pentax DSLR.

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007, 4:17 AM   #8

As long as they are not going the way of making the existing camera's smaller to achieve this.

Making the next k100d in the size of a ... ... ok you can fill in this one.

And also not to compromise to much on the features so that you could still use older lenses, diafragma and... then it would make a nice addition to the range.

just my 5 cents - Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007, 2:34 PM   #9

Big camera, big motor for focusing non motorized lenses, small camera, small motor.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007, 10:08 PM   #10

One of the reasons why I chose the DS in the first place was due to the fact I wanted a smaller camera and the D50 felt way too big for me. I'd be happy with something smaller - more like the size of my old Pentax ME, though I doubt I would buy it now. Unfortunately, I think they would probably have to sacrifice SR and the AF motor (Tom's point about the focus motor), making it too much like the D40. Just my opinion, but I think Pentax has to "work harder" and offer something that is more for less to be able to stay in business.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote