Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 6, 2007, 8:57 PM   #1

Not quite sure what this bird is, I think its a Whimbrel but there's a couple of other birds it might be. Any ideas?

K10, A*300.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2007, 8:58 PM   #2

One more.
Attached Images

Old May 6, 2007, 10:14 PM   #3

It is a Whimbrel - you are correct. It is regularly encountered in southern California. Any other short-billed Curlew would be extroardinarily rare.

Good shots.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2007, 10:19 PM   #4

About all I can add is you nailed him. You done gooood.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2007, 11:42 PM   #5

I would not know what this bird is either, but I do know you have taken a excellant shot.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007, 12:12 AM   #6

Hi Harriet,

Don't you know that shots asking for an ID are supposed to be blurry, partially obscured, and either terribly over or underexposed? These shots look like they should be in the books people use to ID them! Naturally, I'm clueless about the species, being a Midwestern guy from the city. . .

Kidding of course! Very nice work. I really like the effect of the light reflecting off the water (I assume) in the first one.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007, 12:34 AM   #7

Thanks, penolta, for confirming my tentative ID - though I will say this one was taken on the beach in Carmel, not exactly Southern California. It did seem like the only bird in my guidebook that would be likely to be here and the picture was close, though I don't remember this fellow as being particularly big, and the field guide describes them as "a large grey-brown wader".

Scott - I have my fair share of pictures like that! I've got one that I've thought about posting as a "can you identify" but it is so bad I can't tell if its a golden eagle or some type of large hawk. The reason the breast came out so white is that the picture was a bit overexposed - I used LR to recover the blown-out feathers. The sun was directly on the bird (early morning just after sunrise - the best time to be walking on the beach).

Thanks, Rodney and Roger, for the complements. Rodney, I find your birds very pretty but just as strange as you probably find ours!

Harriet
Old May 7, 2007, 3:49 AM   #8

Beautiful captures Harriet.

Ian Mc.
Ian Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007, 4:21 AM   #9

Great shots Harriet,
nr1 is even better than great

nice job - Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007, 5:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks, penolta, for confirming my tentative ID - though I will say this one was taken on the beach in Carmel, not exactly Southern California. It did seem like the only bird in my guidebook that would be likely to be here and the picture was close, though I don't remember this fellow as being particularly big, and the field guide describes them as "a large grey-brown wader".
Happy to have been of help. However, Ijust assumed that since you live in southern California, you took the picture locally - it is the same for all of California . Also, size is relative - they mean compared to a sandpiperand most other shorebirds. "Wader"can bemisleading, since herons and egrets are waders, too, but your field guide restricts the use of the term to shorebirds.

penolta is offline   Reply With Quote