Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 8, 2007, 1:58 AM   #21
PDL

I have to jump in here - while I was out of town during December of last year the Puget Sound got hit with a series of Pineapple Expresses. (Jet stream like weather systems - directly from Hawaii to the Puget Sound) Sustained 50 mph winds for several days with gusts up into the low 70's. The floating bridges over Lake Washington had to be stabilized by opening the bridge section in the middle of the lake or the bridge would have broken in half. My son was getting ready to fly down and see us and he ended up packing in the dark. Our house was without power for several days before his flight - he did the dishes in the dark by flash light. I instructed him to power off all our stuff - just in case. We had a 80+ foot Douglas fir go down (no damage) and around the sound a few people were killed by falling trees. In Vancouver BC, Stanley Park had the cr*p kicked out of it - multiple trees down.

Anyway here is my speech - Do a quarterly Disaster Recovery backup of your system. Create a CD or thumb drive of all the drivers not included in your OS (Windows is not the only one with this issue). However, in Windows do a backup of the C: drive -- everything not just your images - and be sure to include system state. Park the Backup on a separate hard drive or a set of DVD's (I use R+W DvD's or a old hard drive). If a disaster such as the OP occurs - Load the OS using the specific drivers necessary to get the d*mn thing to boot. If using XP throw a copy of sp2 on it (no need to get the updates) then do a restore with system state.

Like magic - your system will be back - registry restored, all the software reloaded, favorites etc. etc. Not something to be taken lightly - but it is necessary. I have used this mechanism to swap out hard drives (go from a 80GB drive to a 140GB drive on C - recover from bad, bad, buggy software installs. My son even used this method to transfer XP from a IDE drive to a SATA drive - it is sweet. Other OS's can do the same thing - you just need to plan on having bad things occurring and know how to get out of it.

Note: this is not backing up your images - this is disaster recovery pure and simple.

Glad to hear no one was harmed during your experience. (I have seen chips blown apart due to lightning strikes - literally - nothing left on the board but the pins sticking straight up off the board - little bits of black plastic and silicon all over the inside of the case ---- spooky)

PDL
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 4:36 AM   #22

Rickst wrote:
Quote:
I'm not aware of any surge protection available for DSL lines, but I will be looking into the possibility...
Most of the better UPS's have both phone and ethernet surge supressor ports as well.

Though nothing really protects from a truly direct hit..... was there fire or smoke involved?
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 4:41 AM   #23

robar wrote:
Quote:
i'm behind an APS and a belkin surge master with $60,000 warranty from belkin.
and yes, it has phone line protection also.
roy
Hope you never have to collect on that.... because I could bet you have more plugged into them than there are actually outlets for....

Read the fine print..... no extension cords, or other interconnection allowed or warranty is void.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 12:34 PM   #24

I just ordered two Belkin Surge Supressors--4120 joules, less than 1 nanosecond response, 12 outlets and phone connections. At some point, I will consider "battery back-up."
Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 6:23 PM   #25

Sorry to hear about the rough weather and your loss due to it. Really tough to see those big old trees go down. Glad you came out OK.

Jim
JimInGA is offline   Reply With Quote