Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 6, 2007, 10:29 PM   #1

Freak storm yesterday--took out my DSL modem and main PC. I had to buy a new modem and PC and I've been re-loading software for close to eight hours now (had to get all the new Vista Drivers, etc.). The government really should take Microsoft apart!!!!!

I'll e-mail again someday if I can get all of my stuff to run again.
Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2007, 10:41 PM   #2

Rick,

A back up battery will keep most of those things from happening other than a direct lightning hit.

I use a Mac to keep as far away from Microsoft as I can, although I do admit to using Office.

P.S. No power here for about five hours, which made it interesting getting going this morning without water.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2007, 10:52 PM   #3

Sorry to hear the bad news. Good luck.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2007, 11:03 PM   #4

It was a lightning hit--hit the phone line, followed that and went through the DSL modem into my PC.
Old May 7, 2007, 12:37 AM   #5

Wow! That's a tough break and not something you would think of. I don't suppose there's any type of surge protector for the DSL line, is there? Scary thought.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007, 7:18 AM   #6

I'm not aware of any surge protection available for DSL lines, but I will be looking into the possibility...
Old May 7, 2007, 8:06 AM   #7

There are surge protectors available. Some of the home entertainment surge protectors have them, but you can also get them separately. Fortunatley, we here were spared. But I did disconnect the phone line from my modem, to be safe. Now just have to wait for the flood waters to receed. No school for the kids today because of that. Haven't made it out to take pics, yet.
macshak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007, 8:51 AM   #8

I hope to be able to upload some pictures of my housing development. We weren't hit nearly as hard as you were in Kansas--I hope everything is going OK for you there.
Old May 7, 2007, 9:54 AM   #9

We were spared the tornadoes here, but just 15 miles N. of here was not. Lots of flooding. I did get out and see if I could get some pics. I was only about 5 miles from were the tornado hit, but the rain was coming down so hard, I couldn't see anything. Once it started hailing, I headed back for home. Already have enough hail damage on my truck from last year. Didn't hear about the tornado until after I got back home.
macshak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007, 11:42 AM   #10

Rickst wrote:
Quote:
It was a lightning hit--hit the phone line, followed that and went through the DSL modem into my PC.
Maybe wise after the event, but I always remove the telephone connection when not in use having previously lost a modem that way.

It will not stop a direct hit on the mains if the equipment is plugged in.
IntrepidWalker is offline   Reply With Quote