Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 11, 2007, 8:49 AM   #11

Thanks again for all the replies. I finally set aside a little time to experiment. When the problem occurred I went through every control on the camera and flash trying to figure out what was wrong without success but I never thought to take it off and try remounting it. Right now it would appear that Scott may have identified my problem. After putting the flash on my camera it appears to be working fine again and the exif is recording that the flash fired, so the only thing I can figure is I did not have it fully mounted the first time.

Thanks again,
Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2007, 10:14 AM   #12

Excellent, nothing worse than sending stuff back and waiting and waiting.
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2007, 4:38 AM   #13

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks again for all the replies. I finally set aside a little time to experiment. When the problem occurred I went through every control on the camera and flash trying to figure out what was wrong without success but I never thought to take it off and try remounting it. Right now it would appear that Scott may have identified my problem. After putting the flash on my camera it appears to be working fine again and the exif is recording that the flash fired, so the only thing I can figure is I did not have it fully mounted the first time.

Thanks again,
Tim
Sorry I didn't think about that too....

Indeed the 3 sub contacts are small (and often on flash just bent wire contacts) so if not SQUARELY seated can cause problems.... I have had it happen on my Promaster 7000M bumping it against something.

Not even removing just twist back and forth a lilltte find the center point and lock down a bit more.

Supose you could call it a flaw but just how hard do you want it to be to slide it into that shoe? And again not normally a problem on mine initially but has happened when I have side bumped it and not locked it down enough.

Which is maybe why I stumbled on to the solution pretty quickly (it was working... something must have lost contact... be it corrosion... salt environment here, or alignment) and so didn't think immediately to mention it here, just second nature to me now.

Shouldn't likely happen just putting it on (again takes bumping mine and not locked down enough), might be worth examining the bottom of the flash shoe.... if they are wire contacts be sure one hasn't gotten a bit bent or flattened somehow maybe, again especially the 3 sub contact ones.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2007, 12:07 PM   #14

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:

Thanks again,
Tim
This is one reason that the Pentax branded flashes are "better". The shoe fitting on the AF 360/540 FGZ flashes have a cam lever that lowers a metal pin that fits into that little hole in the shoe on the camera in addition to tightening the fitting to the shoe, virtually eliminating the displacement of the flash. It's also quite a bit less fiddly fitting and removing the flash -- a minor point, but noteworthy.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote