Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 7, 2007, 7:16 PM   #1

Hey ya'll. I got the Sigma 500 DG Super flash for Christmas. I only used it a couple of times for macros outdoor indaylight as I normally don't take lots of photos indoors. I did not notice any problems at that time. I recently upgraded to K100d's firmware to 1.2 and, for the first time, really used the flash for some indoor shooting. Unfortunately it blew almost every picture out completely. I was able to use it some by EV compensating -2.0 on the camera but ended up going back to the onboard flash.

I was using the flash in P-TTL mode and the camera was set to Av priority. There are a couple of examples of the shots I got. Before I send this thing back to Sigma, does anyone have any thoughts on something I could have been doing wrong. Please remember that I am a complete flash noob. The exif should be intact. The thing I noticed was that I was getting ridiculously long shutter times and I noticed that the exif is reporting that the flash did not fire.

If anyone has any suggestions at all, I would appreciate it. Otherwise this thing is going back to Sigma this week.

Thanks,
Tim
Attached Images

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2007, 7:16 PM   #2

Example 2
Attached Images

Old May 7, 2007, 7:35 PM   #3

I know nothing about yuor camera or flash models but I noticed your ISO was set at 800 seems kind of high for indoor pics with a powerful flash.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007, 7:49 PM   #4

Hi Tim

First i would try lower the ISO. I have the Sigma EF 500 DG ST. Not entirely Sure about the Super but i know that there was some issue awhile back regarding My flash not working with the K100D.
Mine was originally purchased for my DS. But So far is working Fine with My K100D. If it did not work you had to send it back to Sigma and they Fixed it.
I am sure that Roy or someone else can tell you for Sure.

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007, 8:00 PM   #5

Hi Tim,

Have you experimented further with the flash indoors? One thought would be that the flash might not have been fully seated in the shoe. The contact that fires the flash is the large central one, but the ones that communicate with the body are smaller, and you might not have gotten good contact with one or more of those. ISO 800 probably didn't help either. My TTL flashes tend to get a bit wiggy at higher ISO settings. Also make absolutely sure that the flash is set to P-TTL mode. P-TTL should work with just about combination of ISO, shutter speed (within synch range), and aperture, but when you start moving towards the extremes, of any of these (except maybe the shutter speed within the synch range), P-TTL starts to have problems.

I'd try it again, choose ISO 200, a medium aperture (say f5.6), Av mode should be fine, but also try P mode, make sure the contacts are clean and that the flash is seated all the way on the shoe and tight, check Ev and flash compensation to make sure they're at 0, and check to make sure the flash is set to P-TTL. Just take nothing shots around the house at different focal lengths and distances. If you get consistent overexposure, then you'll have a set of control exposures to burn on a CD to send along with the flash to Sigma.

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007, 8:01 PM   #6

Thanks Phil. I should have added that, aside from being in Av, everything else was auto. The camera chose the ISO and shutter speed. Also, the reported shutter speeds are likely correct as the long shutter was noticable when taking the shot.

Tim
Old May 7, 2007, 9:30 PM   #7

Tim

Try this. Flash to P-TTL Mode
Camera ISO 100-200
M mode
Shutter 1/100
Aperture f/5.6- f/8

If the flash is working proeprly these settings are well inside the capable range of the camera and flash in P-TTL mode.

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007, 3:51 PM   #8

One other thing I would point out is when I emailed Sigma about my flash, which I had bought for the DL2 in August, their response was to send it back for re-chipping for K100D and K10D.

Although you bought yours slightly later, it may still have been the older batch which needs adjustment.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007, 10:21 PM   #9

Scott and Crash, thanks, I will try both of those things before it goes back. Scott, a bad connection sounds like a very plausible theory and, after having trouble with it, I just took it off the camera in disgust and never tried it again. If carefully remounting it on the camera does not work I will try your suggestion Crash and post the results. Thanks for the replies and suggestions guys.

Tim
Old May 9, 2007, 12:07 AM   #10

Tim,

Most flashes especially powerful auto adjusting ones are designed to work at ISO 100.

Normally high ISO will only work properly to gain high range.

As an exaple, in my experience ISO 800 would likely only give a proper exposure, at like 50 ft or more.... not an enclosed maybe 15 ft room (that looks to be white walls and ceiling, where even completely bounceing off a dark ceiling would likely be a bit much.

As the 100d doesn't have ISO 100, I'd try 200 and see what happens.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote