Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 9, 2007, 3:18 PM   #1

Pelicans at 8,000 feet

Last year when I found them I was very surprised and a couple of old timers told me they show up every few years. They are back again this year. They hang out in a cove by what I call El Vado Mesa at the North end of El Vado Lake.. Every morning they fly off some where and then return later in the day. I am going to try and figure out where they are going so I can get some more photos.

The elevation here in our valley is around 8,000 feet.

Here they are at El Vado Mesa Cove.

Off to some where for the day

A closer look at one of them

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2007, 3:23 PM   #2

this must be their mating plumage as they are not as dramatic when they winter here. good shots

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2007, 4:59 PM   #3

Nice shots Roger, especially the third one. What is that coming out of (or on top of) his beak in the last shot?

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2007, 7:32 PM   #4

robar wrote:
Quote:
this must be their mating plumage as they are not as dramatic when they winter here. good shots

roy
Hi Roy, I don't know why but they are real pretty right now. You are probably right about their mating plumage. Thanks for looking and for the information.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old May 9, 2007, 7:35 PM   #5

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
Nice shots Roger, especially the third one. What is that coming out of (or on top of) his beak in the last shot?

Tim
Good question Tim??? I looked it up.

"Pelicans have a vertebra in their neck, which prohibits them from ever raising their face. The white pelican is 60 in. in length and 107 in. in width, one of the largest of the 8 true species of pelicans. They have a yellowish pouch connected to the lower mandible of the beak that stretches up to six inches. Their bodies are mostly white, with black primaries and outer secondaries, which are hidden until the bird outstretches it's enormous wings. During mating season the male develops a fibrous plate on the upper part of the beak, this is a unique characteristic of the white pelican. Also the bill is bright orange during the mating season. Their feet are orange, and are webbed not only between the four front toes but also between the second toe and the inwardly directed back toe. They have an enormous wingspan of 8 - 9.5 feet. Their legs are orange, and are extremely short.

Tim thanks for the good question and for looking.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Old May 9, 2007, 8:52 PM   #6

Great shots Roger, now that they have left Roys place it is up to you to get photos of them.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2007, 9:29 PM   #7

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
Great shots Roger, now that they have left Roys place it is up to you to get photos of them.

Tom
Cooool " The Roy & Roger Pelican Team" Sounds like a gooood team to me. Tom thanks for looking and for commenting.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old May 9, 2007, 10:22 PM   #8

WackyRoger wrote:
Quote:
. During mating season the male develops a fibrous plate on the upper part of the beak, this is a unique characteristic of the white pelican. Tim thanks for the good question and for looking.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

Hey, thanks for the answer, it is another new thing I learned today. You know, my kids spend hours watching Animal Planet and Discovery channels on TV. They should hang out here instead!

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 12:16 AM   #9

Roger - interesting pictures and interesting information about the pelican. Thanks for posting them.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 1:03 AM   #10

robar wrote:
Quote:

roy
Actually a comnpletely different species than the typcical SE to mid Atlantic migrating pelicans most think of. (Commonly called brown or gray) Those never look like that from juvenile through adulthood.... except for their head feathers.

ED Opps see Roger already covered that.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote