Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 9, 2007, 4:52 PM   #1

Have just spent a week in Menorca with my GX-10 (3 months old) and having taken just over 1000 shots I thouhgt I'd share some initial reactions (don't worry, I'll not post all 1000 shots!!!):

1) I really have to improve my technique! A very brief scan through these shots shows an alarmingly high number of photos that will go straight into the recycle bin

2) My 9 year old Sigma 28-200mm needs replacing. I have to focus at full telephoto and then zoom out. If I don't the damn thing doesn't get a good focus (doesn't happen with teh 18-55 kit lens so I assume it must be the lens not the camera)

3) When it matters I have real problems getting the exposure correct. I'm talking primarily of low light / backlit shgots which I usually manage to either over or under expose. I'm playing with the exposure lock and things are beginning to improve, albeit slowly)

4) Even with shake reduction I find the 28-200mm gives too many blurred images in low light. But when they are sharp ... they're good. And as the week went on my ability to handhold at low speeds definitely improved.

5) The Samsung strap needs replacing. I'm not sure when I started to do this but I have my upper arm through the strap (that is I don't wear it around my neck) when taking photographs. Must have read a few decades ago that it helps to steady the camera. This puts the strap under tension and several times this week I have cought the camera as it dropped when the strap undid. Any suggestions, e.g. superglue the strap?

6) Got to remember that if I am wearing a baseball cap I have to adjust the cap so that I can use the built-in flash. If the thing isn't fully up it doesn't fire.

7) Last, but most importantly - if I have upped the ISO so that I can take some low-light photos, I must remember to SET IT BACK TO AUTO the next morning! I can't begin to how many shots I took in bright sunlight at 800 or even 1600 ISO.

Will bore you all at some point with a (very limited) number of photos.

Keith

Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2007, 6:04 PM   #2

#1= practice,practice

#2= replace or contact sigma because it may need to be rechipped

#3= practice,practice

#4= practice,practice

#5= OP/TECH

#6= don't wear a hat or get a rug

#7= follow your advice

#8= practice,practice practice,practice practice,practice

LOL,
roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 12:51 AM   #3

Keithw wrote:
Quote:
4) Even with shake reduction I find the 28-200mm gives too many blurred images in low light. But when they are sharp ... they're good. And as the week went on my ability to handhold at low speeds definitely improved
Note the word REDUCTION

Be it lens or body IS is NOT a CURE ALL!!!

It is an aid.....

Lens or body there is only so far the element or sensor can move and how fast....

The better your aiming skills are to begin with the better its results will be. (Someone suffering like Parkenson's should not think this will fix things)

If with short lens you can't do 15/th sec without.... forget doing that or much less with.... but if you can.... 1/4 sec should be no problem.

(With that type of lens (50mm or under) , I have done maybe not razor sharp but acceptable 7/10th.... and braced 1.5 sec. And even on a 400mm lens pulled off quite good 1/45th sec hand held... though I try to stay over 1/125 th, and without SR 1/60th a really blurry mess at 400mm)
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 10:51 AM   #4

robar wrote:
Quote:
#8= practice,practice practice,practice practice,practice
Hmmm, are you suggesting that I practice more?

:lol:
Old May 10, 2007, 11:17 AM   #5

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
If with short lens you can't do 15/th sec without.... forget doing that or much less with.... but if you can.... 1/4 sec should be no problem.

(With that type of lens (50mm or under) , I have done maybe not razor sharp but acceptable 7/10th.... and braced 1.5 sec. And even on a 400mm lens pulled off quite good 1/45th sec hand held... though I try to stay over 1/125 th, and without SR 1/60th a really blurry mess at 400mm)
In my "Available Light" post I have a couple of pics that were handheld at 1/3 sec with the 18-55mm kit lens. So I know that there is no inherent shake in my hands. It's the damn weight of the 28-200mm Sigma that gives me grief. To quote Roy I think it's a case of "practice, practice. practice". maybe I'll join a gym and build up the strength in my wrists - if only I could think of an exercise/activity to help ...

Occassionally I do manage a reasonably acceptable shot. The one below (sorry, full of noise at 1600 ISO plus a not very clear evening) was shot at 1/45 sec at the full 200mm with my arms resting on the balcony railing for support.

The pic is of Majorca from Menorca and the bright light in the middle is a ligthouse flashing. No prizes for clarity or sharpness but it does show that with a little assistance I can still get a relatively long exposure with this zoom lens.

Attached Images