Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 10, 2007, 10:16 AM   #1

One of the responses to an earlier question of mine about flashguns was to make use of the available light. I guess the member meant this sort of thing:

Or maybe this:

Or how about:

I think this last one is my favourite. I especially like the reflection of the support for the boardwalk.

There was one other photo that made the most use of the available light and that is

All were taken with the 18-55mm kit lens at 1600 ISO and were handheld with the last 2 shots being taken at 1/3 sec.

Oh and as for a flashgun I picked up the Samsung SEF-36PZF (can you guess which Pentax flash has been rebadged?) for a mere £99.99; so yet another manual to try to understand!!!

Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2007, 10:40 AM   #2

keith,
i like the 3rd the best. all are very good

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 3:57 PM   #3

Well, yes, something like this... Passed with distinction!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 6:11 PM   #4

All are very good shots and I also like the shot with the boardwalk best.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 10:26 PM   #5

Lovely! I love night shots, we have no lights like this around here so I get few chances to do this type of photography. It's always impressed me so much when someone gets the exposure right.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 11:23 PM   #6

Very nice stuff...

Tripod of not?

You didn't mention which camera, but mixing flash with available light usually results in sort of unatural look.

How ever if the K10Dwhere you can alter the WB presets, if you warmed/yellowed the flash preset..... that last shot would have looked a lot more natural.

I did that I while ago, and even for full flash exposure I prefere it as obiously indoor stuff just doen't look natural with the blue/daylight cast electronic flash has.

And in the like this case of outdoors with available light same sort of effect.

Not meaning to be critical as much as just suggesting.

Again very nice shots.

Edit....OK got curious and DL'd one of the images, and I see GX10.... now I know itis missing some of the K10D features.... but try investingating the WB fine tuning.... makes quite a difference, as the preset are just lab standard compromises.... and in my opinion one of the more powerful abilities of the K10D

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 11:34 PM   #7

Very nice sharpness and color for night shots.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2007, 7:41 PM   #8

Thanks folks, I'm glad you liked the pictures

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
Very nice stuff...

Tripod of not?

You didn't mention which camera, but mixing flash with available light usually results in sort of unatural look.

How ever if the K10Dwhere you can alter the WB presets, if you warmed/yellowed the flash preset..... that last shot would have looked a lot more natural.

I did that I while ago, and even for full flash exposure I prefere it as obiously indoor stuff just doen't look natural with the blue/daylight cast electronic flash has.

And in the like this case of outdoors with available light same sort of effect.

Not meaning to be critical as much as just suggesting.

Again very nice shots.

Edit....OK got curious and DL'd one of the images, and I see GX10.... now I know itis missing some of the K10D features.... but try investingating the WB fine tuning.... makes quite a difference, as the preset are just lab standard compromises.... and in my opinion one of the more powerful abilities of the K10D
Hayward

Tripod??? No sir, all hand held ( I get a perverse delight in shooting without a tripod in low light). And do feel free with suggestions, constructive criticism is always useful.
None of these shots used flash, available light only. That last pic is just the way the camera "saw" the scene.

I've yet to start experimenting with the camera settings, I tend to use the P setting and trust the camera to sort the rest out; although I have changed the ISO. Once I feel more confident of getting the pics then I'll investigate the various options at my disposal. There are just sooooo many!!!! After that it'll be Photshop or something like it. Using a dSLR is certainly a very different experience to my old Olympus 4Mp compact.

I'm not sure that there are many K10D features that the GX-10 doesn't have. The only ones that come to mind at the mo' is that I can only shoot DNG RAW and my menus look different. I can certainly adjust WB, there are a number of presets plus I can manually set the WB, not that I have the faintest idea what the manual setting is doing!

Keith
Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2007, 1:38 AM   #9

Keithw wrote:
Quote:
None of these shots used flash, available light only. That last pic is just the way the camera "saw" the scene.
REALLY???? in that last shot sure looked like it!!!!

What was the forground light that was so different and horizantally spead (to even medium background boats) then in the last shot? (Epecially the deck looked flash lit..... and again especialy in WB, you or just edge or frame must have been right under the light source to make it look that much like a flash wash)

And in which case you might have been better off to do a manual AWB off the forground boat hull. But darn that sure looks blue/white enought to have been flash.
Old May 12, 2007, 1:46 AM   #10

Keithw wrote:
Quote:
I can certainly adjust WB, there are a number of presets plus I can manually set the WB, not that I have the faintest idea what the manual setting is doing!

Keith
Well again take a shot.... and if it doesn't look right go into WB mode.... IF GX10 like the K10D, then you will see that last shot under the superinposed WB menu/controls.... and shifting WB to WB preset will change the image to corespond.... AS WELL AS (though may take a sec or two) any manually fine tuning you do will also show in relative real time on the LCD.