Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 12, 2007, 10:58 PM   #11

rudy'
no way PSPxx is any where a lame program.i'd use it more except i'm joined at the waist with PS. add a dupe layer, gaussien blur it to about 6-8, then take the eraser tool and erase out the 2ndlayer to show you first sharpdharp image> fletten lsyer
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007, 6:26 PM   #12

The image is too noisy to even think of just sharpening. Looks like it was iso 3200 but the EXIF shows iso 200, so I'm not sure what happened there as I've never seen any noise at iso 200. Sharpening accentuates noise, so rule no.1 when sharpening is either make sure the noise is low out of camera or reduce it in PP before sharpening. On a shot like this with fine fur detail it may not be easy to effectively reduce noise in PP without losing detail a lot. In fact I've just tried and it is impossible.

IF you had a less noisy image, I would as a first step look at the histogram and probably spread it out a little (not too much) to get more contrast. At the same time perhaps boost gamma to 1.1 or so. If using PSP I would use Clarify set to 1 or 2 next as it beats anything PS has to add 'punch'. Then it's sharpening. I like to add a small amount (try about 100) of radius=2 sharpening using a filtered blend range with turnover RGB vales of about 60 and 160, this makes the sharpening work mainly in the mid-tones, leaving white and black alone and significantly boosts bland photos without making them look over-sharpened. This step should not be overdone, add just enough to start becoming visible. Adjust it with the layer opacity slider for best look. Then finish off with normal sharpening at a low radius , perhaps 0.6 to boost fine detail, again not to be overdone. Make sure white clipping isn't reached with all the steps in combination.

This method can make for fantastic looking images but I don't think anything can save yours, you really need to find out what went wrong there first.

SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007, 7:47 PM   #13

julianne,
is this a small crop from the original?? i ask because there is little to work with. don't know how you or others will like this but here it is anyway.
Attached Images

robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2007, 5:52 PM   #14

Here's my version using PS CS3
Attached Images

IntrepidWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 4:44 AM   #15

I would be tempted to run a burn tool over the image, set to 15%, highlight mode to try and remove the white speckling I see in the orginal image. Just for starters
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 2:59 PM   #16

I think the very first image was resized badly which means there's no point working on it any further.

You'd need to start with the original, full size image, resize it correctly, and THEN something could be done to improve it.
nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 5:45 PM   #17

nadnerb wrote:
Quote:
You'd need to start with the original, full size image, resize it correctly, and THEN something could be done to improve it.
Quite true, but it's still fun to dabble.
IntrepidWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 12:43 AM   #18

first off i want to thank everybody for their responses. we lost our Internet for a few days because of weather ( that what you get for living in the mountains).

i hope i answer every body's question's. i have the K100d

i use PS elements 2.0 with a curves plug-in. i don't have the computer power to upgrade . i tried psp and others trial versions. they just killedmy computer (i have no idea how to saywhat happensin English). plus i have had elements for a long time so i know it well. i may not be able to PP color photo but i am always happy withmy b&w and sepia. iwas always happywith the color one with my P&S gave me. so i never learned to pp the color ones

be honest i don't touch the goodphoto's in fear of ruining them. i probably will when i get better but for now i just work with the one like the cat. the one's that are cute but missing something.

some of you seem to think that i wanted you all to fix the cat. that was not the case i want to learn to make image's likeTHAT onebetter. i want to learn to do it myself. By The way i love all of your attempt , now just teach me how to do it !!!!:?

i did not really look at the resized image's. OK i admit !! i did a bad job at it. i was lazy and used a resize for web function on a older program i have. one click and it's done. sorry !!! the originals are not that bad.

i used the curve to fix the photo ( can't remember what i did) and for sharpening i used 120 with a radius of 3 on the first one and 100 radius 3 on the second one i fixed. the original i just resized

thank you for your help
julianne is offline   Reply With Quote