Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 12, 2007, 12:56 AM   #1

before i joined this forum, i only used photoshop to make special effect or b&w photos. i usually just assumed that dull photos where photographer problems. so i just applied myself to taking better photos.

i now realise that you can make a good photo a lot better with PP. i find this task very difficult. i dislike overdone photo ( well unless i wanted them that way :?).

so i found a tutorial on the Internet and followed it to the letter. i'd like to know if i am going in the right direction in making natural looking PP shots.

i still have know idea how much or little to sharpen.

thanks!!

this one is the original boring one

Attached Images

julianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2007, 12:57 AM   #2

this is the hopefully better one
Attached Images

Old May 12, 2007, 1:17 AM   #3
TC3

Hi Julianne

To be honest the PP'd image is pretty awful. it is over sharpened and the colours to saturated as well as blown highlights. I downloaded the original to have a go myself but it is no good as it has obviously been down sized for web and cant really do much with it.

Shooting in RAW would have given much more flexibility when PPing

Tony
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2007, 1:36 AM   #4

that what i though too i cannot seem to not over do it. no matter how i try. haven't ventured in raw yet. seem like too much work for somebody with 2 young kids . i basically want to improve to fix the special shots i take . obviously not the cat

thank you for you input and honesty I'll try again
Old May 12, 2007, 1:45 AM   #5

this is better!! for sure. is it still over sharpened????:?
Attached Images

Old May 12, 2007, 6:21 AM   #6

TC3 wrote:
Quote:
Shooting in RAW would have given much more flexibility when PPing

Tony
My correlary to that would be (if K10D or other capable camera) RAW + JPG

RAW is a real PIA if you shoot a lot, as you MUST PP it (even if just to get to a usable JPG or other transferable format), but if the JPG is actually OK just let the RAW go.

In fact I wish someone would come up with a good side by side reviewing utility to do that.... because manual doing is STILL a PIA. I'd definately shoot more RAW if someone did...

But as I know I have said before.... another thing I love about the K10D is its ONE SHOT RAW dedicated button (can be just RAW or RAW + JPG). A shot you really want that for just hit the button....no mode changing all the rest JPG until you hit it again. (also can be set to stay that way until you hit the RAW button again... so real flexability)

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2007, 7:40 AM   #7

The first, original image looks like it hasn't been resized properly. How are you resizing/saving the images?

BTW, finding a tutorial on the internet is a good way to learn, but following it to the letter will never give you the best results (unless you are PP'ing the exact same image) It should be used as a guide which will introduce you to the different techniques of improving a photo.
nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2007, 8:19 AM   #8

you need a good image to start with. try here for one way. it works. settings are not set in stone. experiment. i only shoot in raw.
http://pentaxlife.com/benjamin-kanar...ethod#more-213
here's another link also
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80
there is enough info at this site to keep you reading for the next couple of years.
http://luminous-landscape.com/
explore it.

just remember that you really need a good image to start with. that's the bottom line. what flavor of PS are you using?
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2007, 2:24 PM   #9

Julieanne,
Next nap time I would just run around your yard or house and get some shots to practice PPing with. I am absolutely not an expert doing any kind of post processing, in fact, complete novice would be a good description for my current skills. For sharpening I have found that I like unsharp mask the best and try to use it subtly. It is more like a spice, a little bit will make the dish/photo better but if the spice/pp is the first thing you notice,the dish/photois ruined.

I use Paint Shop Pro for most of my post processing. I believe my settings (unsharp mask) in that program are generally 2 or 3 pixel diameter, strength around 70, and clipping set to whatever the default it. If I have cropped or resized I will generally use 1 pixel diameter and strength 50.

HTH,

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2007, 8:54 PM   #10

Hi julianne,

The original is neither boring nor is it bad. It just needs a little work. I played a litte with the orginal and came up with a nice result. I use Paint Shop Pro XI 11.20.

You have a tendency to over sharpen the pic. Instead of sharpening/unsarpmask I use the clarify function PSP XI, Duplicate layer and an Adjustment layer. If the pic looks like it may be over sharp or does not have the desired effect to my eyes, I will use the soft focus at my settings.

Photoshop is ok, But is overpriced and Bloatware. Not worth the money to me. You just have to sit down and try different things to get the final results you are looking for.

I will not post an edit unless it is asked for. I play with different pictures to see and learn new ways of doing things.

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote