Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 12, 2007, 7:40 PM   #1

I always see posts about people birding. For me, though, it's hard to find interesting birds for birding. Something I do have easy access to is a ton of surfers. I guess that I can call my photo activity "surfering" then...maybe not.

Today's surfing pics:

I tried to focus my attention on the point where they start to wipe out:

He's not walking in this photo:

Surfing can be a pretty rough activity, apparently. Note the photo below; that ain't ketchup on his face and wetsuit. I'm not sure what happened to him.

I do have a little birding tale from today's shoot. While I was waiting around for the waters to start swelling, I noticed a seagull to the left of me, about 6 feet away. I put my coffee cup down (I'm not a morning person), and carefully started shooting away at it. While shooting, it slowly began to move. I was expecting it to fly away, and after a moment, it did. However, before flying away, the seagull snatched my coffee cup in its beak and flew away with it! Needless to say, I was pretty grumpy after that point; a fisherman nearby thought it was funny, though. :-)

Anyway, here's the culprit:

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2007, 8:11 PM   #2

You have some nice surfing pictures there. And apparently the seagull is not much of a morning person without his coffee either!

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2007, 9:29 PM   #3

Nice series and a suggestion: Next time take a extra cup of coffee for the seagull.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2007, 11:33 PM   #4

Hi Jason, Great shots! I would like to ask where you took the surfing shots at. I went to CalPoly (BS and MS) and lived in the area for quite some time. I really miss the ocean. I use to have a mooring out at Port San Luis with a small sail boat hanging off the pier there.

I do miss SLO town....
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007, 12:33 AM   #5

Really love your surfing pictures (second one is my favorite), and I'm not surprised about your sea gull story. They do seem to like coffee cups for some reason - I watched one shred one on the beach in Carmel recently. Last fall I had some really good luck shooting the gulls at Pismo, they'll even pose for you on occasion.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007, 1:23 AM   #6

interested_observer: I took these photos on the pier at Pismo Beach.

mtngal: There are definitely lots of photogenic birds around the beach. I even found a vulture today that posed for me. But of all the rotten luck I have, my batteries died RIGHT as I took the shot. I'm not kidding, either. I press, hear the shutter stop down...and not open back up because the battery died. Needless to say, after running back to the car to pick up the spare battery, the vulture was gone. Talk about terrible timing...

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007, 3:03 AM   #7

Jason, like your surfering shots. Ronny
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007, 9:07 AM   #8

Nice shots Jason, the surfer shots are very nice, although the water looks cold.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007, 3:35 PM   #9

Great shots - you really nailed the surfers.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007, 5:34 PM   #10

I know what you mean about the battery issue - it seems like I'm always charging batteries!

The vulture on the beach would have been a cool picture - don't think I've ever seen one there (though I don't get to the beach very often).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote