Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 13, 2007, 8:36 PM   #11

Love the jaguar, great shot!

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007, 8:45 PM   #12

Roy,

The new exhibit they have at the OKC Zoo has an elevated wood deck that you walk around and see the different areas. With people walking around me it was almost impossible to steady myself and the camera without feeling the virbation of the wood deck as people walked on it. The exception being the jaguar, he was taken on pavement.

Good tip on the shutter speed, I'll have to try and remember that next time I go out there.

Ish
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007, 9:19 PM   #13

ish,
hope no offense was taken. it wasn't meant.. take a cheap monopod next time also. it makes a world of difference once you learn to use it. which is not just putting it perpendicular in front of you.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007, 10:01 PM   #14

Nice series, I enjoyed seeing them thanks for posting them.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007, 11:07 PM   #15

Roy, no offense taken. I've got a decent Manfrotto monopod, I'll give it a try when I go again. I've been wanting to get a ball head for it, so a trip to the camera store might be in the plans for sometime this week!
Old May 13, 2007, 11:10 PM   #16

tjsnaps, love the edit especially what you did with the background... it made that wire fence blend in so much better... what steps did you take to achieve that?
Old May 13, 2007, 11:35 PM   #17

ishino wrote:
Quote:
tjsnaps, love the edit especially what you did with the background... it made that wire fence blend in so much better... what steps did you take to achieve that?
I simply duplicated the layer so I had 2 copies. I applied a gaussian blur to the bottom layer. Then masked out the background on the top layer to let the blur show through. I used 50% gray to paint on the mask around the hairs and wiskers that overlap the background. for better blending.

You can apply the blur to the same layer but doing it this way makes it easier to fix if you deside you over did later on.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 3:51 PM   #18

what i do is once i get finished and i want a little better bokeh is create a dup layer and gaussian blur it, then use the eraser tool to erase the blur out of subjet on the blurred layer.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 8:17 PM   #19

I seldom erace or delete anything. Masking gives much more flexability.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 8:45 PM   #20

ishino wrote:
Quote:
I've got a decent Manfrotto monopod, I'll give it a try when I go again. I've been wanting to get a ball head for it, so a trip to the camera store might be in the plans for sometime this week!
Hi Ishino,

What I use for a head works very well -- better than a ball head for the monopod.
It's a Manfrotto 3229 head which only tilts -- no need for it to swivel, just turn the pod. It's not very expensive, and with the quick release, it takes only a second to attach or detach the camera

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Tilt_Head.html

I also use the RC2 QRs on all my tripod mounts, and have the plates on all the lenses that have tripod collars.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote