Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 13, 2007, 8:56 PM   #1

I got this lens delivered from an ebay purchase this week. It is a KA mount and interesting in that it is a one touch zoom but the 300mm position is closest to the user, not furthest away. Anyhow, I am real happy with it and it is certainly delivering better sharpness than my Sigma 70-300 APO. This is a 100% crop of a pair of wood ducks.

Tim

Attached Images

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2007, 10:44 PM   #2

It does look very sharp - looks like a good lens as long as you don't mind the manual focus (my 300 lens is manual focus also, and it isn't that big of a deal most of the time). I like your ducks, even with the difficult lighting conditions.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007, 10:59 PM   #3

Tim for that much of a crop you done did real gooood.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 3:07 PM   #4

Hi Tim,

This lens has tested out to be extremely sharp -- a great value -- and your shot confirms this, as do others that I've seen from a few guys who own and recommend this lens. I also have one, but mine's apparently not up to snuff , and only gets reasonably sharp at f8 and smaller. Luckily, I bought it at a very good price, and I can afford to set it aside rather than foist it off on someone else.

. . . I'm definitely jealous. . . but my recent acquisition of a dangerously sharp Tamron SP80-200/2.8 LD has dampened my disappointment with the Tok. :-)

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 4:04 PM   #5

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
This is a 100% crop of a pair of wood ducks.

Tim
What FL were you at for this? Any SR?

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 4:36 PM   #6

Scott, I am sorry to hear that your example is not to your liking. Then again, just putting the one Adaptall 1.4x converter on my 300mm f/2.8 decreases the quality of my example far worse than yours does with two converters. I am starting to learn that there is more variation in lens quality than you would suppose.

Hayward, that shot was taken at 300mm. I have a K100 and I leave shake reduction on all the time, though looking at the exif it appears SR was still set for my 100mm macro.

Thanks for looking ya'll,

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 4:26 PM   #7

I have the lens Tokina AT-X 100-300/4, (for Canon, with built in motor), it is very sharp. Use it often with Kenko 1.4 Teleplus PRO converter, IQ is quite good.
jajurek is offline   Reply With Quote