Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 13, 2007, 10:41 PM   #1

I have set the menu option to automatically rotate my images when shot in Portrait mode. Which is very cool when reviewing my shots "In Camera"

However, when the images are dowloaded to my PC, they are back to their landscape persepctive.

Is the auto rotation option supposed to rotate the actual images or just the viewed image in the camera? :-?

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2007, 10:58 PM   #2

I shoot raw so I can't review my pictures using Windows XP. I've always assumed that there was some information on the file that says "this end up" because they appear properly rotated in both Lightroom, and Bridge. I never quite got around to installing the Pentax software when I got the new hard drive, but I don't remember rotating pictures when I was using PhotoBrowser and my hubby's computer.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 1:09 AM   #3

It's a value in the exif/iptc somewhere - rather than an actual pic rotation. So it is fine if viewed by an application that reads the whole exif - such as Lightroom etc - but in many standard viewers, which are not fully exif-aware,they will not be auto-rotated.

What I find rather a pest is if I then rotatethe pic in my favourite viewer (currently FastStone) to be the right orientation for standard Windows apps, and open the file in an exif-aware app (such as Photoshop) then they are now on their side (since the value in the exif is still saying "turn this one before opening...")!
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 5:47 AM   #4

Hi, as You wrote You have enabled rotation for in camera playback- but did You enable the next setting in Custom settings: Saving rotation info ? If not then Your images do not contain any info about rotation :-(

Best and happy shooting and reading manual when not shooting, JR
Reps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 6:30 PM   #5

Yes, just checked to make sure it was set up correctly, both image rotate is on and so is Save image rotation. :roll:

In camera it is rotated, but when I view in Windows it is not, I will check PSE and see what it does. :idea:

I don't actually recall rotating the images in PSE. My first look at my pictures is Windows viewer to do a basic cull of OOF images and badly exposed images. I then open any shots in PSEI consider worthy of further viewing/work.

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 10:13 PM   #6

Crash, if you have not already, you might try Picasa for the initial viewing. It reads .PEF just fine and if you do rotate a pic in Picasa it does not change the original file orientation it just remembers how you want to view it in Picasa.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote