Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 14, 2007, 9:45 AM   #1

Just thought I would test the Tamron 28-200 to see if it is worth considering as a walk around lens.

@200mm

@28mm

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2007, 3:08 PM   #2

Was this the XR or Non-XR version... I have the XR and am extremely happy with the results considering the range it covers.
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 3:13 PM   #3

I reccently got the LD version new (actually refurb) off Ebay at a decent price. ($100) and have been quite happy with it so far though it is a bit weighty.

It over laps nicely with my Phoenix 100-400mm (no snickering , it's really is better than you'd think, and a bargain) rather than having a big gap I did with, my Sigma 28-70mm. Don't need to push the 28-200mm to 200 much, unless that is just enough. (vs swap) Even critical user reviews of the LD (few) I've seen say it is quite good up to 135mm or so.

BTW to go slightly OT here... the Phoenix 100-400mm I find just as good as my Sigma 70-300mm in most situations, and better than it with 1.4x TC, particularly because the SR compensates accurately with no TC... keeping the Sigma as currently that is my only MACRO lens and it is a bit smaller and lighter. Nice on all day things were very long reach won't be important, and pairs well with the 28-70mm I'm also keeping
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 4:13 PM   #4

inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
Was this the XR or Non-XR version... I have the XR and am extremely happy with the results considering the range it covers.
The XR has been discontinued and replaced by an XR Di, so watch for close-outs. I got one not long ago in Pentax mount brand new/USA from an internet dealer for $90. Last Friday Samy's Camera advertisedthem on "special sale" in Minolta mount for $59 (in-store only), so now I have two (such a deal!). It is a nice compact versatile lens, if a bit wanting on the wide end (aboutt 42-300 equivalent).
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 4:44 PM   #5

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
Just thought I would test the Tamron 28-200 to see if it is worth considering as a walk around lens.

Tom
Judging by those two shots I would certainly be happy with it. What was your overall impression?

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 10:49 PM   #6

It seems to be quite a nice lens for walking around on vacation, it has good color and contrast, is very small, light and acceptable sharpness for most situations.

It is the Tamron AF ASPHERICAL LD Macro. Here is a Macro shot at 119mm, f/8, ISO 400 and that is the color of the leaves.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 11:08 PM   #7

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
It seems to be quite a nice lens for walking around on vacation, it has good color and contrast, is very small, light and acceptable sharpness for most situations.
Using mine for about a week, l I'd agree on all that and the small... but not exactly light I'd say it might actually weigh a bit more than my longer (though skinnier) Sigma 70-300mm.... certainly as much.

PS Tonight was the first time I have used the 28-200 all day due to rain and not range need.... it never disappointed over entire range and conditions.

See also:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=80
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=80

and one other session not posted.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote